Is there any design that doesn't have followers?

Sasquatch or Predator?

Quote:
Quote:

here’s one to stir up the camp-----the Holmsey Sidewinder-out of Fla. USA–a one trick pony that was a noserider during the nose craze of the mid 60’s I have NEVER seen one since! but Any ONe could hang ten on it, ANYONE!

Come on, John Mellor…put up the S#!t Shoveler! :slight_smile:

Quote:
BTW, Slim, nice car.

I was confused there for a second and looked up in the thread to see if i had posted a picture or something and then I remembered that I was driving the '69 Spider when I came by your house, huh? Thanks. I’ve continued working on it and it’s getting better and better - little details here and there. I drive it to work most days, too.

Good point about the short lived nature of these retro trends. They do seem to come and go quite quickly and the thruster is indeed the board most commonly in the water (well, except maybe linda mar or pleasure point…).

I’m a little afraid to post this in case it should resurrect the dead and banned…

but other than Shwuz(who actually built one) and me…

I don’t think anyone else gave the FP a second thought other than Paul Cole himself

http://surflibrary.org/SurfLibrary_files/FtPeng.html

intriguing story, too bad when I asked for building plans he asked me to buy him a ticket to hawaii so he could demo his board to local shapers… kind of told me all I needed to know… Still would be neat to try and sculpt one our of EPS…

I remember the old website.

Videos and all

I don’t think it went anyway outside of his home town and getting someone kicked off swaylocks.

Hi Jeff,

haha. yeah, or some kind of androgenous Bo Derek.

Cheers,

Rio

yep, that would be it! a beast to turn and the “trim point” was somewhere out past the nose of the board…

oneula-

i made a 6’2 penguin about five years ago based on the blueprints from their old website…it actually surfed pretty well (it went vertical like no board i’ve ever ridden)…i also received a set of planshapes for a 6’4 and 8’2 from them prior to that “extortion in exchange for information” phase they went through…i’d be glad to trace them and mail them out…pm me if you’d like.

jim dunlop

The Auslocks board…

Hi,

Bo Derek! Hahahaha! Very good!!! Now, let’s stop here because everybody will notice we are older than they could imagine (Oh, Lord! I miss the 80’s a lot). Gbye!

Actually if you’re our age

I miss the late 60’s

around then it would’ve been Sophia Loren in the Screw(?),then either Racquel Welch in xxxBC(?) or Jane Fonda in Barbarella Bo didn’t have a chance…

sorry…

I don’t see those twin tips around anymore…

you know the boards with fins on both side for trick riding…

only the kiters and wakers are riding something similar

Am I the first to come up with Swizzle as an answer?

slight sideline, but does anyone know who made that peenut board? the logo looks a lot like beachbeat?

This is really a self-fulfilling question isn’t?

In that;

1. As Craftee says, if there is a design out there that doesn’t have a following or nobody knows about it then how would we know about it.

And

1. Then as soon as someone gets a new design or a design very few have seen onto Sways, one of us will jump on it, shape / build it and be the spark to light the fire.

The peanut on this thread is a good example, even if I was to say “The peanut board doesn’t have a following” and post a photo, how many would see that and think “I wonder how it goes”, “What if I shaped one like that but changed ” (where is whatever sparks your idea i.e. Tail shape, fin setup, whatever)

Own up, how many of us here saw the peanut and put the design through their normal decission process of whether it was a worthwhile shape or not… it only takes 1 person to run with it, make the tweak, make the progression and then off it goes.

-Cam

PS: And what is the definition of a “following”? (Is 1 shaper with a handful of people that ride his style of board a following?)

Quote:

oneula-

i made a 6’2 penguin about five years ago based on the blueprints from their old website…it actually surfed pretty well (it went vertical like no board i’ve ever ridden)…i also received a set of planshapes for a 6’4 and 8’2 from them prior to that “extortion in exchange for information” phase they went through…i’d be glad to trace them and mail them out…pm me if you’d like.

jim dunlop

Whats up Jimmy…you outa Jax yet?

Rockettails,tinkertails,21 finners.

Hey Herb, how ya doin’?

There’s a “rockettail” “fish” video on the “non-thruster” thread from “Surfer” magazine’s website.

Is that a “rockettail?”

I dunno Janklow ?

Is there a pic of it ?

A Rockettail looks like it’s growing wings at the very tips of the tails…in the 70s they were called Mouse Ears(Dyno Surfboards) as well.

I’ll have to look at that thread more closely…sooooooo many threads …sooooooooooo little time !

?

http://www.mandalacustomshapes.com/bat_tail_quads.html# This design has the corners flanged downward a bit to provide more hold. Any similarity with the one you’re talking about?

The “rockettail” Shane Beschen was riding looks more like a bit wider diamond tail

Back in the 70s that was called a Squid Tail,

........The Rocket tail I'm talking about looks like a standard straight cut swallow with 1 or 2" squared wings at the very tips. 

If it had a square tail it would look like a “T” at the tail,but it looks more like a “Y” …KINDA ?

I wish I was better at posting pics…SHEEEESH…!!! Herb.

Hi Oneula,

Sorry, but around the 60’s I was borning. I had the chance of watching those beauties on movies, and can understand your point of view (no silicon features added). I have a sequence of pics of playboy’s playmates since its foundation. It’s fun to see how the “shape” has developed along the time.