Jacobs ID

One day driving through Ortley Beach, NJ in the late 80s, on the northbound side my father spotted this board in the parking lot of a now defunct surf shop (Can’t remember the name) He did not surf, but I did from a very young age.  He purchased the board for around $150, the impetus being it was big enough for him to paddle out with me.  He did once and never went again, it wasn’t his thing.  In my teens, during the high rocker period (I was 6’2" 200# as a freshman in highschool) and nothing would float me I stopped surfing, but every once in a while would paddle out on the Jacobs and had some memorable sessions. I eventually found boards that worked for me but I have lugged the Jacobs around for the past twenty years through seven moves and different locations around the world.  

The number on the tail is: 4487.  Any idea of when it was made or any other information?  

Mahalo,

John

The cosmetics of the board are consistent with 1964. Nice example.

Thank you Mr. Thrailkill. 

Excellent example of Hap’s work. That’s a keeper.

Contact Eric at the Beach House Surf Shop in Bay Head.  He will be able to help you with all of the info that you need.  The board was most likely bought from the now defunct Custom Surf Shop in Lavallette.

Yes a nice board.  Fin is great.  64–65

Interesting.  I remember what it looked like.  Dirt parking lot, the structure faced the road but also south, rickety wood stairs and a ramp.  I was probably around 8 or 9.  I am 44 now so it was not purchased new obviously and pre longboard revival.  I will check out Beach House whenever I am back in the NE, though these days that is rare.  Thank you.  

Thanks, I would like to get it a bit cleaned up.  The nose is a repair I made years ago with boat glass and I had zero idea what I was doing.  The ding it is covering is sand wear from dragging it down the beach as a kid.  Have a few of those chips on the fin smoothed out.  

Yes the fin chips can be done with ground/milled fiber with Cabosil.  Have a Yater that flew off my van once that I repaired with the same.  As the only damage(luckily) was the bead on the “Rising Sun” skeg.  Get creative with the nose and see if you can color match.  If not; consider a pair of nose blocks.  Lowel

Very nice. I worked at Keller’s in Lavallette in '64-'68.

I don’t remember any Jacobs dealers in that time period.

We carried Greg Noll. Charlie went to California to try and get some other labesl. Jacobs wasn’t opening dealers. He did get G&S and Con around '64-66.

The Jacobs that we saw were few and were brought in by individuals from California.

Johnny, UCLA student who worked on the garbage truck, brought one back. It was solid green as I remember. Around '61-62.

Wayne Spencer had a real nice 8’6 with a fantail logo and Red and Green tape off. That was around '64 and it got stolen.

Most of the boards we sold in '64 were pop outs 'cause that’s all we could get.

All good info, thanks! I’ll give it a try. 

I have a very clear memory from events of the " old" days and I remember Simo having a few Jacobs in the racks.  As I am sure that you know his business practices, who knows how he got them.

To the OP if you can’t get back east to ask Eric at The Beach House, give him a call.  He visits Sways and could be a help.

I don’t think he had any in '64. More like later sixties. Jacobs opened dealerships after Hoppy, the head shaper started running things. I remember seeing him at our dealer in Houston, Bay Surf Shop. That would have been '69 or '70.

I know there were Jacobs dealers on the EC by the early 70s. One was a guy named Will Jacobs. No relation. He took over the Weber dealership in Newport, RI and had a shop there, and in Connecticut. He was also a Hansen dealer.

Was on a long flight today that thankfully ended with some waves (sloppy Windansea but that works), I have every Surfers Journal article on my ipad and when I get bored, always turn to them. Noticed this in an article about surfshops:

Mahalo’s.   Love the stories about the old crews…  Lowel