Jock.......Vintage Alaia 1910/1920 is

Hi, have recently become custodien of this Alaia 8ft 8ins x 16" wide made from Redwood from Packing crates I was advised by To Stone. It dose not appear to be glued? I was informed that water proof glues only appeard around 1920’s. I am thinking as this ended up in UK that it was from Vessel/cruz ship that was going to/via Hawaii and may have been a officer tried Surfing and had it made on board out of crates or when he returned to the UK.

The board was bought from a house clearance in the 1970’s…

Any thought of info would be interesting.

Thanks

Alex

Need more and better photos. That one crack looks more like a failed glue joint than a split along the grain in this image. 

Waterproof glues first came into common use in the 1930’s. 

Is that a cross grain tailblock?   

Board appears to have four glue seams, nose to tail.

Hi, a few more ahota of board…I’v just been going on info that Tom Stone has given me and DeSoto Brown of Bishop Museum, Desoto thought it was a Hawaiian Alaia shape but bottom was not of Hawaiian craftmanship. Tom pionted to the fact that Local woods where not readily availble and Packing Crates and Telgraph poles where used from about 1910 onwards. This would also tie in with Cruz ships and cargo vessles arriving from Europe as the Panama canal was not open.

Cheers Alex

There was a time when railroad ties were made out of Redwood.    (Hard to believe, eh?)     I was told by a Hawaiian friend of Del Cannon, that his father would make surfboards out of railroad ties.    This in 1930’s and 1940’s.      Wish I could remember the fellows name.    I believe he was related to Duke Kahanamoku, in some way.                      

Wherever it came from, it’s pretty cool.

I agree
Very cool.

Ditto. Way cool board! Mike

If it was mine I couldn’t keep myself from giving it a ride. 

A 100% authentic way to time travel. Regardless of the traffic to the beach, the building or those on the shore or even in the line up, once your up - the wave remains the same. 

if its ok with you i will be sending a link to this to Tom Wegener.

Hi Adam,

yes, that would be fine. Tom did do an appraisal of a 1940’s Toothpick/water sled that I have, which was brought back from OZ just after the 2nd WW. So it would be great to hear his views on this board.

Thank you,

Alex

Very nice Alex.  If only Surfboards could talk.  Worth it as a decorative wall hanger in a restaurant or somewhere the public could get a look at it.  Like loaning fine art to a gallery to be appreciated by as many as have an interest.  If you do a restoration; be meticulous and authentic .  I like it the way it is and in that condition it should not be in the water.  Tom Stone is an excellent source for info on these old boards.  If you are ever in the Hawaiian Islands the Bishop Museum is a “don’t miss” site to see.  You are probably right about the Shiplines and shipping crate idea.  A fair amount of Calif. Redwood wound up in the Islands in the early days.  It was commonly used for “stick frame” construction etc.  it really “greys out” with time and the grain will raise if it is of poor quality…  “Quality” would be “Heart” or lumber cut closer to the center of the tree.  The grain is tighter and more uniform.  It will swell quite a bit if exposed to water.  As it dries it contracts.  Probably the reason the joints have spread.  Like I said;   If only Surfboards could talk.   

Yes, if only these boards could talk! it would be really interesting.  It has been on show at The Royal Cornwall Museum in the “Endless Summer” exhibition on the history of UK surfing.this was a couple years ago, of which I was co-curator of. Link below with a few pics from My Endless Summer FB page…Thank you for your info etc

Thanks Alex

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=630797780317839&set=pcb.486120454810994&type=3&theater&ifg=1