July 4, 1776----2018

Give some thought to the day.       I’m sure there are many forum members, with military service in thier background.      I want to personally ‘‘THANK YOU, FOR YOUR SERVICE’’, to the Nation.      No matter how small your contribution, you were part of defending the freedoms that make the USA a great country.     So fire up the grill, and have a safe and pleasant holiday, with friends and family.     

May God bless you all. 

Well thanks Bill  -

I’ll claim it… 6 years as an Air Force medic.  Ironically, I saved more lives working as a nurse for 20 years at the local county jail.

The real heros in my book are the guys that had the balls to take on the oppressive government in charge at the time.  American Revolutionary War - Wikipedia

Any more than that and I could get in to trouble on this forum… maybe the moderators will let this stand:  

All too often, we forget freedom has a price.

Losing it would be unforgivable…

“Find the Cost of Freedom”

https://youtu.be/mRYhUyw9qX0

I agree wholeheartedly with John about the “real heroes”.  I had an uncle who was a “loyalist” and an uncle who signed the Declaration of Indepence.  That our founders were willing to give up everything for freedom, independence and self determination is an amazing fact.  They did not flee to a neighboring country as many do these days, but stood against tyranny.  The high cost of freedom from the founding of our nation to present day is taken for granted by many in our country today.  Shed blood for freedom is certainly something that most newcomers to our country never give a thought.  Well God Bless the USA.  I’m highly critical of our Govt. past and present, but we still live in the greatest nation on Earth.  Lowel

I was lucky to shoot photos of my dad on his last birthday. He was born on the 4th of July.

He was a proud American, and a lifelong Dept of Defense employee, with a total of 42 years of service. My grandfather was also a lifelong federal employee. They lived at Hickham AFB and dad worked at Pearl Harbor when it was bombed. He ended up in the ARMY and served in Korea during the war. He retired from the ARMY but was sent to Viet Nam as a civilian DOD employee.

We didn’t always agree about the US and how it affected Hawaii, but he lived through the great depresion and saw how working for the US Government made it easier to get through that time.

Happy Birthday Dad!

The last photo is for Bill Thraikill shot from Keith Melville’s house. I think Bill will recognize this beach.

Makaha, looking to the point.     The flag is flying from the deck of the home of Carlton Beal.       Now deceased.     He was a congenial gentleman.     My house was about 200 feet north of that, on Makau St.     Just off camera, to the left, is where my secret Menpachi hole is.     It used to drive Buff crazy, that the Coast Haole,(me) kept getting stringers of red fish.     I never told him where that hole was.

McDing wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly with John about the “real heroes”.  I had an uncle who was a “loyalist” and an uncle who signed the Declaration of Indepence.  That our founders were willing to give up everything for freedom, independence and self determination is an amazing fact.  They did not flee to a neighboring country as many do these days, but stood against tyranny.  The high cost of freedom from the founding of our nation to present day is taken for granted by many in our country today.  Shed blood for freedom is certainly something that most newcomers to our country never give a thought.  Well God Bless the USA.  I’m highly critical of our Govt. past and present, but we still live in the greatest nation on Earth.  Lowel

First congrats to your independance day. I spent have a year in the states in 1988 and could be part of the celebrations then. The party I had with american friends I will never forget. And to let you know, I’ve always loved the US and its really is a great nation! I’m very grateful that they invaded here in Germany in WWII and removed the nazi terrorism!

But I have to comment on MDings Post. He wrote: “They did not flee to a neighboring country as many do these days, but stood against tyranny.” If he is referring to the beginning of the US, according to me, its not what happened. Your forefathers left europe (I would not say they fleed), because they were depressed (as far as I know mostly religiously) and took the chance to finally create the “Land of the free”.

I hope that the US keeps his attitude towards freedom! And McDing is right to be critical about government, past and present. It is the people that form a country, not a government.

I was going to stop at the corner of Makau and Farrington Hwy to shoot the street sign for you Bill. I ended up driving right past it on my way back from Yokohama Bay to Keith’s house. I’m pretty sure whatever secret holes there were back when you were here are empty these days. I had one just out side our beach house at Shark Country. It was a coral head about 20 to 30 feet across and there was a big hole in the center, but the edges protruded out like a mushroom. We’d paddle the canoe out and swim down at an angle to stay out of sight. If we did it right, we could score one lobster each. You had to be fast enough to grab it before it swam into the crevice. Then all we had to do was shove a 3 pronged hawaiian sling under the rocks ledge and guarantee the shaft would start wiggling. Just push it till it hits the rock and pull it out, you have one Menpachi or U’u, you didn’t even have to look. 5 minutes and you have a meal for 4 easy. No need to get more than you can eat, just go back tomorrow or the next day. Now my friends say there’s no fish, but if you know how to see them, there are still plenty octopus.

Aloha Harry,  I’m pretty sure it still has fish in it.     Both Buffalo, and Buzzy Trent, were constant divers at Makaha.     Neither of them ever found it, and those guys knew that place like the back of thier hand.      If you come back to San Diego, I’ll draw you a detailed map of where the hole is.      It can also be seen (if you know where to look) on Google Earth.    (I’ll show you)   I’d be delighted to have you check it out, and report back, about your experience.    Deal?

That’s a deal. If I get back to SD I would love to have lunch with you again.

Always—-  much criticism of a Free Country by Ex-Pats and holier than thou foreigners who neither understand nor would ever shed their own blood for freedom.  Lowel

Harry,  You look a lot like your dad!  Cool pics.  

Hi Owen, been thinking the same thing. Have a bunch of older photos of my dad and I seem to be looking more like him as I get older. I love my dad so much. Hope you get a chance to surf if the storms produce good waves for your area. Aloha.

Aloha Harry,

Owen is right on point.      I was struck by your resemblance to the photo’s of your father too.      

Harry,

We just had some great surf in RI!  That was unusual because usually the summers out here are pretty flat.  It is nice to surf real waves when the water is warm.  It doesnt happen too often around here haha.  I hope all is well on Oahu!