Just getting started

Hey guys, I’m 15, and I live in Jersey. I just read an article on shaping boards in “Surfing Magazine” (I forget which month, but it was a whole big special sorta thing) and it really got me interested. I’m just wondering what exactly would I need to shape my first board. I know I’m gonna need a foam blank, and fiberglass, but like what tools do I need? How to I dry the fiberglass? What kind of stringers do i need and where can i get them? Any help is appreciated. Thanks - Mike from Jersey

Mike: You should get the videos “Shaping 101” and “Glassing 101” by John Carper. Those videos will give you lots of information and answer your many questions. Good luck.

Mike: You should get the videos “Shaping 101” and “Glassing > 101” by John Carper. Those videos will give you lots of information > and answer your many questions. Good luck. also, get the book 'Essential Surfing" (amazon.com) It has a lot of good info on design.

Hey guys, I’m 15, and I live in Jersey. I just read an article on shaping > boards in “Surfing Magazine” (I forget which month, but it was a > whole big special sorta thing) and it really got me interested. I’m just > wondering what exactly would I need to shape my first board. I know I’m > gonna need a foam blank, and fiberglass, but like what tools do I need? > How to I dry the fiberglass? What kind of stringers do i need and where > can i get them? Any help is appreciated. Thanks - Mike from Jersey Mike, get the videos as suggested. I live in Jersey also and the hard part is getting a blank. I got mine from Heritage in Sea Isle, you can get the fiberglass materials from the Mahogany Company in Mays Landing if you live in the southern part of the state.