just got me a new hi-tech board

Keith,

I had only seen the injection molded lexan fins. I never knew that there was a glass fin for that box.

I don’t think there ever was a glass fin for those boards. Even if there is an add that says so. It would have been to labor intensive for Carl. I’m also pretty sure they had screws front and back.

Pierpontscott has an old W.A.V.E. board in his shop PM him and ask what the fin is like.

Hey Dennis , I thought you might know about this ! , I will look up who did the 6’5’’ if pos.

Hey y’all

Here’s a pic of all of the removable fin systems I’ve been able to collect over the years.

Top row: Broken Polypropolene WAVE set, Polypropolene WAVE set shaved to fit into a Wonderbolt box, Repro WAVE set, Fins Unlimited Lexan (Hook and screw tab).

Middle: Variable WAVE set w/ Greenough Stage IV (Regrettably glued).

Bottom: Hobie bolt through, Fins Unlimited Variset (ABS?), Wonderbolt Yater Y2, Fins Unlimited injection molded (ABS?).

2nd picture is a close up of the Variset, the type of fin I believe this board needs. These fins were simmular to a WAVE set but could be adjusted. This one is an injection molded ABS I believe, I also have a Lexan one I could not find to take a picture of.

Hope this helps…

can’t see the picture… try again?

CHeck them now

that’s quite a collection. I think you may be right… I can see that the variset takes two screws, does the waveset fin also? Any chance you could measure the width of the part that fits into the box on both of them??

Thanks!!

Keith

Yes both of the fins take 2 screws each.

The VariSet is 8" long at the base by 3/4" and the bolt plate cut outs are 1" long and 1/4" deep (measuring from the bottom). This fin fits in a Stubbie Hull that still has this finbox in working order.

The WAVESET is 11" long and tapers from 1" wide at the leading edge to 3/4 at the back and has a thickness that goes from 1 1/4" to 1/2"

The VariSet fin attached to plates that slid back and forth the WAVESET mounted fixed into a snug form fitting box.

ok - on further digging it appears that the correct fin for this board is the Variable Wave Set (which is neither the VariSet nor the WaveSet fin). Still hunting… if anyone has further leads I’d love to hear about it.

Try to contact Karl Pope of Pope Bisects maybe they can help you. WAVESET fins were a product of the Morey/Pope design partnership in the mid 60s.

I have a couple Hollow W.A.V.E. fins around.Let me dig one up and send it to you…I give you either the one that came off the plane or the desert explodo model. Herb

Herb, you are the man! That would be greatly appreciated!

If you find one I will post pics and specs here so that it will be in the archives. These late 60s/early 70s fin box systems sure were changing fast, until the Bahne box took over anyway.