Keel fish fin placement help

Hi guys. Glassing a 5’7 traditional Frye fish a buddy shaped for me. Need some advice on the placement of the keels. I got full size 5 x 8 double foiled fins. I plan to glass them on with no toe and 3 deg cant. My shaper buddy says these should be 8” up from the tail to the trail edge of the fin to keep it loose. But it looks so damn far up. The buttcrack on the board is 5.5” and its 12” tail. Shouldn’t the trailing edge line up with the top of the buttcrack? Thanks!

Top of the crack, no toe, no cant.

…enter to a new world and let aside those fins to put 4 fins or “2 split in 4” canard quads.

Bill has the distance from the crack right. Line the fins up with the pins. Per Bill; no toe or cant. Single foil; no toe but 4-6 degree cant.

Any suggestions on how much glass to lay up on each side of the fin?

I went ahead and got these set. I talked to Mitsven about the fins. They place the trailing edge in line with the top of the crack; out 6 inches from the stringer; which leaves me with about 1.25" from the trailing edge to the rail. They recommend 3 to 5 deg of cant, no toe. They look just perfect here!

They also say the crack should be half the length of your tail. Toeing the fins in and adding cant is more for performance style fins with more rake. Hope this is helpful for anyone doing similar research.

I wet out a pen’s diameter of glass rope along the base. Small football, larger football, then a complete cover of the fins. Usually use 6 0z. Mike

I just bought used Fish by Stu Kenson He has his keels set 2” up from the tip of the crack. Fins are also closed to the rail back is 1 1./4 “ off the rail. the degree of cant seems to be a bit more then 5 degrees. Mitsvens and Kenson know Traditional Fish. Seems like Diffret talks moving fins up would make the Board loser. Your board looks good. When do we get a ride report.

Ok gents, been tough to get in the water since I finished the board with the time change and all plus lack of surf. But i got a decent day at sunset cliffs on it, waist high, lined up, clean, ideal for the board. Man is this thing fast, way faster than my quad fishes, I’m pumped on this board. Made every section, long drawn out sweeping turns, never caught behind the foam ball. Got one 12 o’clock turn. I’m a goofy footer, rode it at abs. Still haven’t gone right on it. But yes it turns, in a very control drawn out way, no skatey stuff. I mean it’s 5’7 glassed Uber light with 4oz s glass bottom and deck plus 2 oz volan deck patch, how could it not?!My philosophy is speed is primary, u can’t do nothing if ur not going fast. Here in San Diego we certainly have to work for that speed. It’s a good board , wouldn’t change a thing. Those specs on fin placement are legit. Thanks for all the feedback. Hope this deposit in the knowledge bank serves future hands on surfers well.

Man, that’s a nice looking board.
Mind if I ask a few specifics?
Curious about the width at nose, wide point, and tail (12” up).