KG twinser fish demensions?

Quote:

Brian,

Thanks for your reply. I am comfortable on my 6’2" and have 20 years experience. I feel pretty sure I can handle a 5’10" but concerned it might not be the best option. You said you surfed one 6 inches smaller and that you did not think that 5’10" would be bad for me. I guess that did not really sound too convincing to me… My question for you is did you like the 5’4" you tried or you just made it work. I have an option to make it a board that is more suited for mre as opposed to making it work.

Anyways I am leaning toward maybe 5’11".

Aloha,

Shaun

I had to make the 5’4" work for me. Definately too small for me. I prefer a 5’8" works well with my size - 5’11" 180 lbs - but I’ll ride anything from a 5’8" to a 6’0" with similiar consistency.

With 20 years under your belt, you have been surfing as long as I have. I’m not sure how far your 20 years goes compared to my experience, but I would assume you could make the jump down to a 5’8" to 5’10" and have no problems whatsoever. A 4 inch jump is HUGE for a beginner, but not really so much for a seasoned surfer. I have no doubt you’ll find the board perfect for you.

Mabile makes some sick fish btw, you wont be disappointed.

Aloha

Bryan

Quote:
A 4 inch jump is HUGE for a beginner, but not really so much for a seasoned surfer.

Bryan

When the boards are all just the right size for the surfer & the conditions, a 4 FOOT jump is no problem either. :slight_smile: For the last month, all I’ve surfed are a 5’11" and a 10’0" & 10’4"…

Shaun, yep, wind wind. Here we go. See you in July :slight_smile:

yea sorry guys , i missed one critical point there …

the fish concept …

the wide point forward as benny mentioned , that changes things …

i slipped in the pics of the boards i was talking about , 6’-4" x 23 and the 6’-6" x 22 …

i could easily chop 4" off the 6’-6" and it wouldnt change it at all , where you put the wide point has a major bearing on how long or short it feels …

you can make a short board feel long and longboard feel short depending on where you place the wide point …

ive always liked the length for paddle , but the widest point back so it surfs shorter , reducing nose area also helps reduce swing weight …

i know there is the argument you might as well chop it off if you dont really use it or have to swing it around , but the one thing i really hate about going to short is getting over sections …

sometimes your at the bottom and a section starts to throw and the only way around it , is to hit it and go over it and then push off the section to keep your down the line speed , ive found when my boards are to short , the nose doesnt quite make it to the lip before the lip starts to drop , the lip then pounds you back down and drills you …

where as that bit more length is just enough to place that bit of nose on the lip , once youve got your nose above the lip line , the rest of your board can follow through …

but there we have that classic situation of horses for coarses …

with a clean evenly peeling soft wave that wouldnt be an issue so i could just take the benifit of the shorter board …

so yea , benny had a valid point , either way your gonna need 22 of width or there abouts …

im with benny as well on board transitions …

i find the more often i change from my longboard to my short board the less i feel the difference …

i made my self a rule to never surf either one more than 6 times in a row …

preferably surf both in a session …

regards

BERT

Bert,

Have you tried a fish? I have found that scenarios like you described, while dealing with sections, are less of a problem because they simply are going so fast that you just bypass sections and if one is lurking ahead you can use a highline till you get there then go down around. Conversly one of the most challenging and funnest things about fish is trying to find ways to stall in hollow down the line set ups they take that extra speed and run, no SPRINT.

On a separate note going over sections, on a canard cutaway fish anyways, I have found to be not flowing and just plain wrong feeling like they dont like white water. This in one of the main reasond I am keen to try the twinser set up because I have had several C5 boards and I love the way they go, drivey and fast/ smooth through turns.

Anyways I cant wait. I am going 6’. Will post results.

Cheers mate,

S

ive always hated widest point forward boards , but ive never gone super short with widest point forward , i did make one for a customer at 6’ and i could actually ride it , but at the time it was alot different than what i was into …

if i knocked 6" off my current board then the widest point would be 3" forward , it would still feel the same , just wouldnt climb late sections quite as easily , plus because my boards are so light , you dont feel length …

even my longboards are perfectly boostable and go vert with ease …

so the materials i use dont force me to go shorter to reduce swing weight …

fully agree with you on the quad thing , to unpredictable in critical small wave low power situations …

ive really covered some serious ground on fin combos , and 3 is hard to beat …

but yea if you went 6’ x 22 plus with the widest point forward , it should work for you , im real interested to see how you like it …

regards

BERT