Kneeboards: Why so wide?

So I went out on a kneeboard a few days ago for a few reasons (working through a few injuries, out of shape, waves were fully cracking) and found that the Friar Tuck I was riding slid out on steeper, hollower waves. The bottom contours are quite tame and it has a nice hard edge in the back. But the 5’5" length is combined with 23.5" of width and the thickness is carried pretty much to the rails.

I have a Romanosky kneeboard of the same length and it is narrower, maybe 22" wide, and has its fin set placed further back and definitely works better in steeper, hollower, faster waves. But it even feels somewhat bloated.

With that said, it doesn’t seem that a kneeboard needs to be much more than 20" or 21" wide considering the method of riding and the kind of waves a kneeboard should really be performing in; why would anyone take a kneeboard out in soft, slow waves?

So, why so wide? Historical reasons? Chicks dig it wide?

“Chicks dig it wide?”

You nailed it…

Also different riding styles. Friar Tuck’s are from Aus and Romo is CA. Aussie kneelos mostly put fin cluster further forward and ride accordingly. US more back on tail I think probably from Lis fish history

The type of turns you make on a kneeler are different from a short board. They are more drawn out like a single fin and use the extra rail curve in doing so. I have a buddy that used to ride 17"!?!?! wide knee board at Black’s when it was on. He ripped the thing but not too many snap type turns but speed for days on that thing. If it wasn’t turn and burn, he seemed to be playing catch up. The width allows for more rail engaged in the wave and a release of the water mid turn. A narrow parallel board needs a strong “back” footed approach. On a kneeboard, “you can’t get there from here”.

My ride when it’s heavy…
Hawaiian McCray.
With a quad upgrade and my fins.
Wide? yes
just carry closer to the fins.
Kneeboarding
“It’s always overhead”
And the best…
Knell and spray

Best kneeboard I ever had was one of his. Great shaper I think.

Hello mattwho, do you happen to know the fin placement measurements for the board in the picture? Looks very similar to my Friar Tuck. Thanks.

Historically width was always sold as planing area.
Now it’s more about being able to spread knees to help stability and allow full rail turns without rail grabbing.
If you try a wide knee stance on a 20" wide board you end up really twitchy.
Something in the 22-24" wide range seems optimal, but there are people who go towards 30" because they are big or have big personalities, lol.