Krazy glue??

Not really a surfboard question but maybe someone knows something?

I fixed a pair of broken sunglasses with Krazy Glue (Ethyl 2-Cyanoacrylate) the other day.

Unfortunately a little spot of glue got onto the lens…

Does anyone know if there is a way to dissolve this stuff with some kind of solvent?

Maybe acetone???

Favourite sunnies don’t want to throw them away!!

Erik

Loctite, who makes Cyanoacrylate (crazy glue), says that it can be removed with acetone. However they also make a solvent for Cyanoacrylate, it’s basically nitromethane with a little toluene thrown in. I don’t know if you can find it but their web page shows the product number as 76820 - X-NMS Clean Up Solvent for Instant Adhesives (Nitromethane), 2 Fl. Oz. Bottle

Or look for “Duro Super Glue Remover” w/ product nos:

01-32249 - 5ml tube (Canada)

01-80844 - .34 oz. Tube (10 ml)

01-81754 - .34 oz. Tube (10 ml)

Might be easier to find…

If you can’t find those, and the acetone didn’t work, better hobby shops sell nitromethane as fuel for model airplanes. Find a bottle of 100% nitro, see if they’ll let you dip a q-tip in it, and try it!

This may of course damage your sunglass lenses if they are plastic!! Glass lenses should be safe, though.

Also, I would be careful that the solvent wont dissolve the tint on the sunglasses…

Thanks for the tips, I didn’t know about the nitro.

/Erik

Hey ErikG,

Apply acetone with a q-tip and keep dobbing it on to keep it wet / pooled with acetone for a minute or two. Then take a popcicle stick or something stiff (wood or plastic like a small wax comb - not metal cuz it scratches) and “scoop” at it. It should work off if you let the acetone pool on the spot you’re trying to rid to let it dissolve.