Lack of AKU Files Out There

I want to graduate from hand-building wooden surfboards to machine-shaping on the AKU/APS. It dawned on me that there is a dearth of available AKU files I have found out on the web. With the “open source” movement so strong in the computer world, I thought there would be a more vibrant open exchange of free .brd files.

Is there a resource for finding .brd files, other than the six or so that are free on the aps3000.com site?

David Westendorf

Endorfin Wooden Surfboards

Half Moon Bay

with all of the help on this sight and others, and the fact that the program is free…why not make your own?  Or take the ones you’ve found and fine tune them. 

I thought there would be a more vibrant open exchange of free .brd files.

Think about that for a minute. It was a slightly amusing read for me. Bizgravy has steered you well with his advice. There are some files here at sways in the posts, I have a couple, what are you after?

There are no aggregate site out there including this one.

You might find through this thread what your looking for, if you narrow down your request.

However, you havent stated what your looking for.

I dont think anyone wants to email their collection straight off the bat.

Especially since the co$t to develop these have been through $canning, $uccesive refinement, or both.

All in dollar$.

Did anyone see you come in? You’d better get on the floorboard… and be quiet…put this over you, don’t move, and don’t make a SOUND!

time and time again people come on here, explain what they are going after, post their .brd file and ask for input from others.  people will give you pointers on your design, and more often than not someone responds with a .brd file of their own that meets your needs.  much better than a raw database imo.   not sure if “graduate” is the best term to use…

Is there a resource for finding .brd files, other than the six or so that are free on the aps3000.com site?

There may be free files out there however are they cuttable? A high percent of the files out there are horrible.

Good files can cost a lot of time and energy to delevope. Really good files most likely came from a scan.

They cost money. Why would some one give there files for free?

You shape a board then have it scanned and a file created for you to reproduce has many times as you like!

[quote="$1"]

There may be free files out there however are they cuttable? A high percent of the files out there are horrible.

Good files can cost a lot of time and energy to delevope. Really good files most likely came from a scan.

They cost money. Why would some one give there files for free?

You shape a board then have it scanned and a file created for you to reproduce has many times as you like!

[/quote]

Thank you Surfding....I was going to mouth off but you covered it.....I'm not using the machine yet...Ha Ha....

Board #25 got shaped on Sunday....I have some shapes that are working....2010.....I'm ready to start recording real numbers into the computer...A couple of people have offered to help.....we'll take it slow .....What the heck!!! I'm a back yard glasser not a shaper.....I've traced outlines and blended curves but I've never copied with out permission......

Have fun

Ray

Ray: I'm glad you see it correctly. There is a lot of abuse with CAD programs in general. I shaped my first 500 boards with my Hitachi and hand tools.I have a lot of shaper friends who shaped 1000's before using CAD. I've shaped over 3,500 with cnc and have created over 1200 models for myself as well as others. The program is not a shaper and just putting in some random numbers does not make one a master shaper. There is actually a method to finishing a pre-shape off of the machine. I've seen good cuts destroyed by poor finishing. To work a couple of hours fine tuning a file then giving it away for free would make it impossible to stay in business. Don't get me wrong I have given files to surfers in 3rd world countries so they can make boards for themselves. However our friend who lives at MOONLIGHT BAY can afford to buy a file. I've played at the Golf Course there and it's a really rich area as I go by what the Green Fees are in the neighborhood!

Surfding

want any of mine? I am sitting on a pile of like 30. Mostly High performance boards for people in the weight range of 130-155 lbs and of average to above average ability level.

Post one. I would like to see one?

Thanks for the invite! Ha! Well here’s a semi I’m working on. It’s earlier sibling worked well and I’m just trying to update it. Feedback welcome. Never thought about posting a file here before, but it seems like a good way to get a practical  rather than theoretical discussion about design. (duck yer head Charlie!)

not that I have surfed Ulu, or do I surf waves that this board is designed for but knowing what I like in back hand lined up surf this is probably along the lines of what I would ride.

http://www.surfline.com/video/locals/local-fire-shaun-ward-part-iii_27032

12 years of Indo

Small boards are all you need. 6'8" is for macking North Shore.

Here is what you need:

You did not post a file?

How come?

I transfered you file in to Shape 3D.

Here's the PDF Plan:

Now you can cut you board on any machine.

That one was for huge Uluwatu, and is my biggest board in my imaginary quiver.

Hey Surfding - Thanks - Pat

I have the cutting file in Shape 3D if you need to cut it?

6'3 is plenty big for indo. Mex and Hawaii and big Cali you need more board. Indo is so clean you can ride smaller equipement.