lam coat quantity

I’ve read many posts on this site over the last few months and appreciate the amount of knowledge that you all make available. Question: For a 5’10" X 19 5/8" X 2 1/4 swallow tails’ lam coat (2-4oz top, 1-4oz bottom) should I mix A) .5 quart B) 1 quart c)search the archives or d) .75 quart of resin?

I’d go with .75 quart for the bottom, and 1 quart for the top. Make sure you catch some in the bucket as you squeegee, and then repour. If this is your first lam coat, it never hurts to mix a bit more, it’s much worse to run short than have a little left over.

Thanks. I proceeded before getting reply. I mixed up 1 quart for the bottom and used only about half and it was too hot but I think I saved it… On the top I mixed .5 quart (cooler) and sweated for a second because I thought maybe too short.

Whoops, didnt mean to post this old thread, just wanted it to stay in the archives.

Quote:

Thanks. I proceeded before getting reply. I mixed up 1 quart for the bottom and used only about half and it was too hot but I think I saved it… On the top I mixed .5 quart (cooler) and sweated for a second because I thought maybe too short.

Thats a riot :slight_smile: I would have used about 3/4 quart for the bottom and a hair more for the deck…just over 1% catylist (10cc. / qt.) in the winter my glassing shed is only about 60 degrees and the 1% seems to give me about 30 minutes.