Laminating one at a time

i know a shaper who laminates one at a time if he is has time to do so, he told me to do the same when I was starting out, process for the deck was pretty much: cut first layer say two inches for laps, lam tight and pull resin off fairly dry, cut second laps around 1inch past, lam process the same, then cheater coat etc

What’s everyone thoughts on this? 

I just did my first epoxy bottom this way because I wasn’t sure on how it would wet out and it came up actually pretty good.

All my poly boards I’ve been doing laminating them at the same time but cutting the first layer shorter the overlapping with second 

Other than taking more time there must be a reason why this is not the standard way to go.  Two distinct layers vs one that are bonded together?  I suspect a really good laminator can wet out both layers and have a stronger, lighter product in the end.  I guess the question is related to a rookie laminator ending with a better product by completing two seperate laminations?  Yeah you may be able to do a better job than “you” can currently do both at the same time.  The issue would be that you will never learn to complete laminations with multiple layers if you do not practice.

The only time I do separate laminations for the deck is when I do a deck inlay like the one in the pic.  Complete the inlay and let cure to the point where you can complete the cutlap.  Then laminate a clear over the top.

Oh yeah I’ve done that before, usually a reverse lam to accomodate a pigmented deck. Just be careful. You’ll be in for a big ol can of worms if you lay a layer of cloth over a poly lam that’s even the slightest bit tacky. Hey isn’t that the definition of laminating resin to remain tacky? hah

Think he was saying it’s less likely to get delam bubbles, but I think I’ll just stick with  two layers at once on a steady temp to falling temp room like I’ve been doing 

So finished the board, came out great, I find the kinetix epoxy easy to work with. 

Was talking to shapers about their quad axial cloth, I was saying that when I laminate it together with E glass over the top, I require to use more resin because of the large voids the quad axial has, and if I was to pull all the resin off like laminating normal weaved glass, it gets lots of air pockets… He came back saying that 

no industry standard is to laminate both the Quad Axial and E glass together. I know a couple of glassers that use it religiously for a large label

So my next test will be laminating quad axial the e glass seperatly then see how that turns out