Lap cuts; what next?

Hello. Today I glassed the bottom with 1 layer 6 oz. opaque yellow and trimmed a clean line with the razorblade. Tomorrow I will glass the deck, 1 6oz. and 1 4 oz. same color. Do I tape along the glass at the lap edge, glass the deck and trim that line to butt against the bottom lap cut? Should it be flush? I guess then I will need to do a pinstripe? Also, 4 oz. on top or bottom? Thank you much.

Hello. Today I glassed the bottom with 1 layer 6 oz. opaque yellow and > trimmed a clean line with the razorblade. Tomorrow I will glass the deck, > 1 6oz. and 1 4 oz. same color. Do I tape along the glass at the lap edge, > glass the deck and trim that line to butt against the bottom lap cut? > Should it be flush? I guess then I will need to do a pinstripe? Also, 4 > oz. on top or bottom? Thank you much. …What you have described is a inlay.This is usually done when there is a color change.If the colors are to remain the same it not necessary to do a inlay.Just tape the bottom off as you would do for a cut-lap bottom,…after you clean-up the lap abit,that is.Herb.

Thanks Herb. I knew something was funny about this. What do you mean by cleaning the lap up? I trimmed it pretty clean, should I now tape off the bottom and trim the lap there? Also, will the 4 oz. be under or over the 6 oz.? Thanks for the help- connor

Thanks Herb. I knew something was funny about this. What do you mean by > cleaning the lap up? I trimmed it pretty clean, should I now tape off the > bottom and trim the lap there? Also, will the 4 oz. be under or over the 6 > oz.? Thanks for the help- connor…You can LIGHTLY,AND CAREFULLY,sand the cut edge with some 100 grit to knock down the sharpness.I suggest the white sand paper for this use,also blow it off again to remove the excess particals.THIS will help in the long run for the other lap,and sanding…It’s not necessary if it is really a clean cut with no drippys…remember the better you prep at any stage,the better the next phase will be.Herb.

Sorry,I didn’t answer all of your Qs…Yes,tape the bottom off about a inch in off the rail,this will be your cut line. I say 4oz. over 6oz because it gives a flatter surface to sand,and saturates less resin…but you could go either way with it.Herb.

Sorry,I didn’t answer all of your Qs…Yes,tape the bottom off > about a inch in off the rail,this will be your cut line.>>> I say 4oz. over 6oz because it gives a flatter surface to sand,and > saturates less resin…but you could go either way with it.Herb. One last thing Herb. Should I cut the first layer (the 6 oz.) halfway down the rail (like a freelap), and trim the top 4 oz. at the tape an inch off the rail on the bottom? Again thanks for the help!

One last thing Herb. Should I cut the first layer (the 6 oz.) halfway down > the rail (like a freelap), and trim the top 4 oz. at the tape an inch off > the rail on the bottom? Again thanks for the help! CUT IT EITHER AT… just before the bottom curve(6oz)freelap or you can cut it freelap inside the area that is exposed(inlay area).I prefer the rail line.THEN USE THE 4OZ TO LAP OVER YOUR TAPE.This will be your cutlap layer.HAVE FUN ,AND DON’T GET STICKY.Herb. make sure you get all the air out of the cut area.