Lap cutting what if?

Greetings again! What if you have an airbrush under where the tape must be placed? Protect it with a thin coat of lam resin or…? Thanks for the tips! is there any harm in laming the deck first? off the subject…I just saw a Con Ugly in a mag, I thought Con was gone. Does anyone have any info on a new shop, like who, what and where?

hey don, if you’ve got an airbrushed blank, why are you doing a cut lap? you would only need to cut lap if you’re using volan and/or tinting your resin. freelapping would be far less risky to your airbrush. i’m pretty sure that fixatives (coatings to protect, and prevent paint from bleeding) have been discussed. i don’t remember the details, so you may want to search the archives. good luck, ramon>>> Greetings again! What if you have an airbrush under where the tape must be > placed? Protect it with a thin coat of lam resin or…? Thanks for the > tips! is there any harm in laming the deck first? off the subject…I just > saw a Con Ugly in a mag, I thought Con was gone. Does anyone have any info > on a new shop, like who, what and where?

What I have seen and done, is when you are putting tape on painted foam (ie. airbrushing multiple colors on foam), you need you use a heat gun (like a hairdryer) to remove the tape without pulling up any paint with it. Start on one end and lightly heat the area you are going to pull up with the heat gun (don’t go crazy with it, you don’t want to melt anything). As you heat the tape pull it off the blank. The heat will help the adhesive release without pulling up paint.

What I have seen and done, is when you are putting tape on painted foam > (ie. airbrushing multiple colors on foam), you need you use a heat gun > (like a hairdryer) to remove the tape without pulling up any paint with > it. Start on one end and lightly heat the area you are going to pull up > with the heat gun (don’t go crazy with it, you don’t want to melt > anything). As you heat the tape pull it off the blank. The heat will help > the adhesive release without pulling up paint. An airbrush pro down in Melbourne sprays a thin coat of clear acrylic over his color work,this keeps the tape from pulling up color and it also keeps paint of the glassing stands…he only uses 3m tape.He does pinlines on the foam with a little tool called a pinstriper,it has a little bottle for the paint. they only cost around ten bucks.H uses it free hand with no tape.For the main outline pins he tapes them off on both sides of the line and paints with an airbrush. he does all the wwork for Spectrum and Sunshine.and C.C.Riders.I’m talking about the custom boards not…the epoxy offshore production stuff.