lapline taping

what kind of tape do you guys use to tape off your laplines and how wide is it? -steve

Steve: I use the higher grade of masking tape, “pro grade”, found in painting supply. Usually end up using 3/4" wide of the good stuff, narrower is easier to get around the nose and tail lap outlines. Put it down good and tight so you don’t get any bleed underneath. Next I use the brown painters masking paper (6"?) either pre-taped or just add your own tape. That should give you plenty of coverage. ****Next question: How do you find the edge of your taped lap line if you do a heavy opaque color? Tips anyone? Tom S.>>> what kind of tape do you guys use to tape off your laplines and how wide > is it? -steve

Tom, after the lam has gelled pretty darn good, you lift your tape from the inside, and wield your blade from the outside at like 45 degrees. of course your going to be lifting real carefully and looking for clues in the weave. you can sense when the tape ends, and where the lam bond to the blank begins. i did it on the last board, and naturally i was apprehensive, but got better results than when i used lighting and whatnot to visually locate the tape edge on a previous job. i probably just lucked out.>>> ****Next question: How do you find the edge of your taped lap line if you > do a heavy opaque color? Tips anyone?>>> Tom S.

Tom, after the lam has gelled pretty darn good, you lift your tape from > the inside, and wield your blade from the outside at like 45 degrees. of > course your going to be lifting real carefully and looking for clues in > the weave. you can sense when the tape ends, and where the lam bond to the > blank begins.>>> i did it on the last board, and naturally i was apprehensive, but got > better results than when i used lighting and whatnot to visually locate > the tape edge on a previous job.>>> i probably just lucked out. …I use 1/4" tape is my primary line,then 1/2" over that ,doubling the thickness.After lamination,just look for the raised area of the tape,and make sure you get the lam good and tight.Herb

…I use 1/4" tape is my primary line,then 1/2" over that > ,doubling the thickness.After lamination,just look for the raised area of > the tape,and make sure you get the lam good and tight.Herb Opaque Problems Yea that works good.C.D.B. told me about this and he said something about building up the tape thickness and actually using a little grinder to cut thru the excess glass and tape,sounds like it would work. Am I wrong C.D.B.? I did use this method to find the stringer so that I could center and route the box slot.three layers of 1/4 inch tape over the stringer/box area and ground it of before setting the box.

Opaque Problems Yea that works good.C.D.B. told me about this and he said > something about building up the tape thickness and actually using a little > grinder to cut thru the excess glass and tape,sounds like it would work. > Am I wrong C.D.B.? I did use this method to find the stringer so that I > could center and route the box slot.three layers of 1/4 inch tape over the > stringer/box area and ground it of before setting the box. …YEAH,LAP GRINDERS ARE THE BEST,Herb

jeez, Herb…1 extra thickness of masking tape is the difference between seeing your line, or not seeing it under an opaque lam? and there i was, sweat pouring from my forehead as i did the 'lift ‘n cut’. i feel like glassing another board right now just to check it out and not sweat it out. great tip, as usual!

…YEAH,LAP GRINDERS ARE THE BEST,Herb Herb are you serious about the lap grinding deal?I have been doing it with built up tape and angled razor cut for years just like your earlier post. The only advantage i see in using the grinder was that you can come back a day later to do the trimming versus waiting for the correct jell time. Just curious about it.

Herb are you serious about the lap grinding deal?I have been doing it with > built up tape and angled razor cut for years just like your earlier post. > The only advantage i see in using the grinder was that you can come back a > day later to do the trimming versus waiting for the correct jell time.>>> Just curious about it. You know my response the lap grinder takes all the hassle out of it and real clean lines too if the tape down good heck I’ve even done fabric inlays like that if they kick too fast for me, so until I see a better wat I’m on it w/ the lap grinder

Herb are you serious about the lap grinding deal?I have been doing it with > built up tape and angled razor cut for years just like your earlier post. > The only advantage i see in using the grinder was that you can come back a > day later to do the trimming versus waiting for the correct jell time.>>> Just curious about it. …Yeah,lap grinders are king the JC video exposed it to me 1998?but before that I just used a small, lightwt., plastic sander with a custom 4" med. pad.It worked just as well.THE TRIM:The lap grinding also helps in trimming the lap alot if you use suncure / MEKP combos .Herb …most people walk into IKEA and see chairs,beds,furishings,and SH*T.I see stuff to make a surfboard with…sissors,foam pads,wood,drawerliner,all with my name on it …Just Hold for delivery !!!Herb

You know my response the lap grinder takes all the hassle out of it and > real clean lines too if the tape down good heck I’ve even done fabric > inlays like that if they kick too fast for me, so until I see a better wat > I’m on it w/ the lap grinder Glad to get the replys. I have been using a little angled air grinder with the “snap lock” discs,3 inch diameter. Check this…the discs never wear out they just clog up with gummy resin. If you paint a coat of gloss resin on the gummy discs and set em in the sun for a day or you can flex them around and peel the whole mess off. I love recycling.

Glad to get the replys. I have been using a little angled air grinder with > the “snap lock” discs,3 inch diameter. Check this…the discs > never wear out they just clog up with gummy resin. If you paint a coat of > gloss resin on the gummy discs and set em in the sun for a day or you can > flex them around and peel the whole mess off. I love recycling. I have about 50 of the 2" discs. I use one every 2-3’ of lap and change them when they clog. After I run outI leave them in acetone for about ten min. and then put back on the angle grinder and spin it for a second. This flings the soft resin out and cleans them perfect. I have had discs for about one year. Use the 80 grit ones though! This was the best tip I ever got (files/surforms suck!) Also…I have rechargable electric sheers. They work insane for cutting perfect laps. No hairs at all from jagged cuts. Look under the tools section. Dritz makes them. If you are into doing more than a few boards a month it is well work the $. That’s my 2cents.