Laps

Howdy Chris…just a thought here.If the board is not properly taped off or the glass is too close to the line you can get in trouble peeling the lap up.The whole thing can come apart.The use of tape is almost an art form in itself.Very hard to explain.

Quote:

Like the ones you use for a planer or hand plane?

no…just go to any hardware store or drug store or walmart or wherever…and ask someone where the “single-edged razor blades” are…a 10-pack should cost about $1.

Quote:
Howdy Chris...just a thought here.If the board is not properly taped off or the glass is too close to the line you can get in trouble peeling the lap up.The whole thing can come apart.The use of tape is almost an art form in itself.Very hard to explain.

Hi cleanlines,

Yes, there must be enough glass overlap to stiffen the tape, or else you cut the lap vertically (which you do at the nose and tail anyway…). To ensure the masking tape is applied properly you can run the edge of the blade down on the tape’s lap edge before glassing.

Hi, i’m the last one here that can give some help… i’m just a newbye in board making, but i think an image is better than thousands words.

Here’s what i’ve learned by reading the archive…swaylock’s covers all the aspects you can consider for boardmaking:

cutlapping my second board :slight_smile:

cheers flavio

Hey Flavian,

Thanks a bunch for that pick, it really helped me out to understand the method of cutting your laps.

Thats a beautiful job man…sweet looking cut lap