Latest (maybe last) travel board

I thought about just using the aluminum, but thought the CF would give me more stiffness with not much more mass.  I think I remember that Pope originally used aluminum too, but if carbon is good enough for him, it's good enough for me.  

The baggage issue isn't the "excess", it's the "oversize".   I can take two checked bags during an embargo period, so one will be the travel board.  But I'm not allowed any oversize baggage, so I'd be S.O.L. on a regular board coffin.  

Edit: Just saw your post, surfthis.  I'm going Continental this time, and they have a measurement formula for oversize baggage, so as long as it's within that criteria I should be good.   I'm just taking a single travel bag, and folding it in half with the board parts inside.   Planning on making a custom case for future trips if it goes as well as I hope.

[quote="$1"]

If Shwuz can fit that bad boy in a second "suitcase" he gets charged $25 on American Airlines (according to a website that posts airline baggage fees). Considerably cheaper than the $100+ that it would be in a regular boardbag. I think the keyword here is "suitcase," mention surfboard and I bet crazy fees apply no matter the size or weight of  the bag.

[/quote]

I made one of these too ST. Surfed it real hard and worked great. I just never posted info or pics.

The problem is finding a suitcase that will allow the board to fit. Looking at the dimensions of the board, there are no readily available suitcases that will work. There are strict limits on suitcase size as the sum of L+W+H. So when you go to the store to buy a very large suitcase, they are all the same size give or take. And none of the largest suitcases will hold that board.  

Hey J, I suggested aluminum cuz it would seem much easier than making a carbon tube. The weight diff between the two would probably be 1-3 ounces. For a 10 pound board its insignificant.

I abandoned my project due to complexity of issues, including the ever changing baggage policies of airlines. 

Have fun on your trip J. I'd be curious to know how well the board holds up in powerfull Nica waves.

Hi Jarrod -

I'm still astonished at the board.  I think it's a cool hybrid of material tech with the compsand deck. 

A friend sent some old magazines the other day and I was just flipping through pages when I came upon this ad.  Your board immediately came to mind. 

I do NOT mean to imply that you copied or anything.  I am sure you came up with the interchangeable tail idea yourself.  Also attached is a different type of replaceable flex tail of more recent time.

Haha, cool stuff John!   Yeah, didn’t expect I was the first person to ever think of it, like the old saying goes, “nothing new under the sun”.     I do think someone with access to better tech and funding could make a killing out of a do-it-all travel board though.

Great day Jarrod,

I’m in the process of emulating what you have done for travel.  I’m working out how to do the cut.  I’ll have the female tube and tension connection boxes in the board, fully sandwich the board (bamboo veneer top and bottom) then vac exterior glass prior to cutting.  How did you do your cuts? I’m currently planning to use a radial arm saw with a diamond blade.  However, if you have lessons learned please let me know what works well.  Thanks for the inspiration between yourself and PierreB.   

I think a radial arm saw would be AWESOME for this application.  I’m not familiar with a diamond blade, is that like a grit blade?   If so, it might not clear material fast enough to keep from melting the foam.  Might want to use something with teeth that will clear the cut, and just cut slowly.

Two little suggestions for free carbon tubes.

Why not go on a local windsurfing forum and ask for a broken carbon mast? You’ll have one for free in no time!

The problem I can think of is that they are slightly conic, can’t think of a way to solve that problem but maybe you can?

Smaller diameter carbon tubes can be found in broken carbon wishbooms and they are perfectly cilindrical and are already concentric (the extension part, that glides in and out)! These things break from time to time and are plenty available for free!

(they can be very long for racing booms!)

Your board is really a masterpiece!

bump

good bump crispy,

if paul cannon or someone else who knows about these would like to critique this one for us,

we would all be able to see the flaws

by the way,where’s your punchline from?  sorry don’t get out enough

[video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-nnEnreTsE]

get your drift crisp,how what about this one,can you talk about gays without being gay,or offensive,sorry limited skills with posts…check tuff boy joe rogan …on broke back mountain, u tube…cringeworthy,but he’s prepared to talk about anything…

like being in a car accident… haha

Funny.  Do miss the Shwuz though, wha a craftsman! Where are you Shwuz?

Evidently I’m still subscribed to my old threads!

Yeah, life is pretty busy these days.  I’m in my last year of my nurse practitioner program, so between full time work, clinicals and a certifiably insane 8 month old boy (the Shwuzling),  I don’t have time to surf, let alone work on boards.   I graduate next spring, however, so maybe by next summer you’ll see me jumping back into it full force.  I built a shaping room in my garage here last summer, and there’s still not a speck of dust on the floor.  That’s tough to swallow, but it’ll all be worth it once I’m all MSN/FNP.

Nice to see there’s still interest in the old project here.  I think I updated the project on another thread, but for the sake of keeping it all together here’s the rundown…

It held together fine in Nica, except I didn’t reinforce the foam around the finboxes, so the powerful Halcyon fins I was using caused a catastrophic finbox blowout.  I later routed in some big dcell inserts and reset the boxes (and bought a new set of Halcyon fins!), so that was taken care of.  The other issue was the captured nut I used to attach the tail section.  It was stainless, but evidently not a high enough quality because it rusted, messed up the bonding, and caused some leakage.  The mating surfaces had to be rebuilt a bit as a result, and the captured nut was replaced with a brass one.   Everything else is still good to go.

I miss this place too. Never been more inspired by a better bunch of craftsmen.  I’ll be back though, with more WTF projects!

[quote="$1"]

Evidently I'm still subscribed to my old threads!

Yeah, life is pretty busy these days.  I'm in my last year of my nurse practitioner program, so between full time work, clinicals and a certifiably insane 8 month old boy (the Shwuzling),  I don't have time to surf, let alone work on boards.   I graduate next spring, however, so maybe by next summer you'll see me jumping back into it full force.  I built a shaping room in my garage here last summer, and there's still not a speck of dust on the floor.  That's tough to swallow, but it'll all be worth it once I'm all MSN/FNP.

Nice to see there's still interest in the old project here.  I think I updated the project on another thread, but for the sake of keeping it all together here's the rundown...

It held together fine in Nica, except I didn't reinforce the foam around the finboxes, so the powerful Halcyon fins I was using caused a catastrophic finbox blowout.  I later routed in some big dcell inserts and reset the boxes (and bought a new set of Halcyon fins!), so that was taken care of.  The other issue was the captured nut I used to attach the tail section.  It was stainless, but evidently not a high enough quality because it rusted, messed up the bonding, and caused some leakage.  The mating surfaces had to be rebuilt a bit as a result, and the captured nut was replaced with a brass one.   Everything else is still good to go.

I miss this place too. Never been more inspired by a better bunch of craftsmen.  I'll be back though, with more WTF projects!

[/quote]

Great to hear, Shwuz!  I only have one more year in residency, and it will be nice to be able to get back to board building.  I still have a 10' pig in process that I glassed TWO AND A HALF YEARS AGO, that still doesn't have a finbox.  At least I don't have a shaping/glassing bay staring at me every day.....begging to be used....

Once I have time, I have to finish the 10', then get to work on some 5'5" and 5'6" creations.  I have only 3 more hotwired rocker blanks from my initial block of EPS I bought....holy jesus......6 years ago.......time does fly.

JSS