On to the board!
one is a two-part board in the same style as the last one I did with
Spindrift. There are a couple of differences though. First off, I made
a 1.5" carbon fiber tube and rod for the center, to avoid having to
mess with multiple rods and keeping them aligned. Secondly, I used some
center boxes from probox as my milling stock to make my clamping units.
This was a huge improvement from my previous units, both from a
materials perspective and from a ease-of-production perspective since
they already had a big center channel built into them.
and here’s the development of which I’m most proud, the tail of the
board has a removable section.
6’2" N14.25 M21 T13.25 2.75"Thick
6’7" N14.25 M21 T16.25 2.75"Thick
removable section is 5" long, so that makes the 6’2" have a centered
widepoint, and the bonzer rounded pin has a widepoint 2.5" forward.
was definitely experimenting with the resin on the bottom lam. I’ve had
some ideas about doing combinations of clears, tints and opaques over
wood for a while… As you can see, the results were kind of a mixed
bag. It’s interesting, but definitely not exactly what I expected or
hoped for. That’s why I experiment with personal boards, not customs.
most difficult part of the whole process was figuring out where the
tail section needed to be cut away to make sure the finboxes were in
the correct locations for both the quad setup and the bonzer setup…
wait… The most difficult part was fitting the pintail section back to
the rest of the board. I re-molded that particular joint five different
times before I got mating surfaces I was happy with.
Outline and cutlap:
Tail joint, with same bolt used in center joint, captured nut in board:
All the parts:
Tail off, 6’2":
Bonzer fins courtesy of Probox, custom cutaway base bonzer center to fit the pushed-forward center box.
I probably wouldn’t have even done this one
except for the fact that I booked a ticket to Nicaragua and THEN
figured out it was during the embargo period, so it was built from
necessity more than anything. The thing that got the wheels turning on
this one was the Bing “Synchronizer” I saw featured on the Proboxhawaii
website. It has the same idea of a bonzer/quad combo board, but when I
saw it I knew there was just no way the fin locations would work
without changing the tail itself… I love bonzers, and I love my quad, but only if the fins are in the right locations. For next time, it might be easier to just do 6 fin boxes.
Total weight is 10 lbs.
About 3.5-4 lbs heavier than it would have been without all the
hardware. Not light, but I made it a bit more volume than my regular
boards to compensate for that. It’s pretty low flex through the whole
board. There’s kind of a threshold thickness in these compsands above
which you don’t get that crazy flex, and this is definitely thicker
than that. But that’s probably good in that it won’t have any strange
flex patterns as a result of the center joint since it’s solid as a
I’ve taken it out once as a quad on a waist-high day here,
and it was very skatey and fun. Actually very similar to my everyday
quad, it also shares the same hard rails and flat bottom as my quad,
ala GG. I just got the bonzer fins yesterday, and I’m sure I won’t see
surf here in the next couple of weeks to justify taking it out, so that
will probably have to wait till Nica.
Ok, complete and correct (was working from memory last night) dims are: