Layers of Cloth on a 7'4"?

Hi I am making a 7’4" funshape and am trying to find out how many oz. of glass should go on the deck and bottom. I am thinking of a 6 and 4 oz on top and a 4 on bottom maybe? someone please tell me if they know otherwise. Thanks Nick

I’d put 6oz on the bottom. Weight savings are negligiable from 4oz.

Nick: I agree, I like the 6+4 deck with a patch on top and a 6 oz. bottom. To me fixing dings is not Fun. Enjoy it! Tom S.>>> Hi I am making a 7’4" funshape and am trying to find out how many oz. > of glass should go on the deck and bottom. I am thinking of a 6 and 4 oz > on top and a 4 on bottom maybe? someone please tell me if they know > otherwise. Thanks>>> Nick

Tom, thanks for your help. What do you mean by a patch on top? is that extra glass? please explain. Thanks nick>>> Nick:>>> I agree, I like the 6+4 deck with a patch on top and a 6 oz. bottom. To me > fixing dings is not Fun. Enjoy it!>>> Tom S.

Nick: Depending on the rider and any concern for additional weight I will frequently add a third layer of cloth, 4 oz. or even 6 oz. This layer is in the last 18-24" of tail area and helps keep a board ridden by a heavy-footed large guy(Funshape) intact longer and serves as an extra support for any FCS installations or similar fin systems. You should also plan on some extra glass patches around your fin box and/or fin plugs on the bottom. I just use the same tail patch plan on the bottom as reinforcement, if weight is a concern then just cut little patches for these areas. Tom S.>>> Tom, thanks for your help. What do you mean by a patch on top? is that > extra glass? please explain. Thanks>>> nick

Hey Nick, you can also strengthen the deck by using a close tolerance blank and keeping the final deck shape really close to the blank shape. The foam is denser at the surface of the blank so by removing less, the deck will tend to dent less.