LAZORZAP FIN SETUP

Hi,

I just finished to check the Surfshop section in Sways about a Lazor Zap model (see picture). It brings the board dimensions (12x20x16 1/2x2 5/8), but just mentions that it’ has a thruster setup of fins. I’d like to know if somebody has the specs for those fins’ setup in the board in question? Thanks in advance!

Reason for the side box is so you can ride it the way YOU want in whatever fin config YOU like.

You can go 3 6" fins.

You can go winged keel single 10"

You can go sabre 12".

You can run BIGGER side fins, and smaller center…

You can run ANY config that you like, as some surfers like twins, some singles, some hybrids, and some 5 fins.

If you have trouble locating a Cheynish winged keel, you can run the alternatives.

What style of surfing do YOU like ??

Quote:

Hi,

I just finished to check the Surfshop section in Sways about a Lazor Zap model (see picture). It brings the board dimensions (12x20x16 1/2x2 5/8), but just mentions that it’ has a thruster setup of fins. I’d like to know if somebody has the specs for those fins’ setup in the board in question? Thanks in advance!

That board is a straight thruster. No single fin box. Unless they have changed them at Surftech.

Yeah Solosufer,

I read it in the add that it’s supposed to be a straight thruster, but I’m intersted in the fin setup beacause of the larger tail (16 1/2) in order to understand where the surfer has to rest his feet while surfing, and the participation of the wings in the game.

Quote:

Yeah Solosufer,

I read it in the add that it’s supposed to be a straight thruster, but I’m intersted in the fin setup beacause of the larger tail (16 1/2) in order to understand where the surfer has to rest his feet while surfing, and the participation of the wings in the game.

I always liked twin fins on the side with small trailer on that design.

Well, I guess you gotta account for rider preferences first and foremost.

A tail 16.5 is really not all that specialty, but mostly for smaller, slower moving type surf…otherwise you’d go narrower.

So underhead high preferably, but certain Cheynes have pushed the envelope a bit.

Where your back foot is placed is based on preference, rider sizing, size of foot, steepness of waves, speed of waves, and length of waves, not to leave out about a dozen other criterias.

Wings to give you a breakway point, to allow the board to pivot right from there.

I mainly preferred twin fins, right from '68, so for a board about that size, two sidebites 7" long, and a tail variing in size from 3" to 5.5, depending on needs for holding power at speed.

Some of the guys I made boards with 16.5" tails for, preferred single 12-14" sabre shaped fins, really high aspect, chord maybe 3" at the base with slow taper to the tip. They liked the smoothness and trim speeds, the quicker drops, and less pivoty feel.

I suppose if true tris were around then, we’d have a 3rd alternative.

Run what you like, it all works, but slightly differently.

Our preferences were based on surfing at OBSF, which is generally faster moving, maybe not as fast peeling after initial takeoff.

Hi and thanks for all the feedback,

In reality, I’d like to know what’s the fins’ positioning in the board in question. Nowadays, I’ve been shaping lots of prolike boards (11x18x14x2 1/8x fins: 3 1/2 x 11 as parameter with little variations). I pictured Lazorzaps as single finners as I could remember. That’s why I’m intersted in the real position of this board in special. My bet is that the set of fins is a little backward because of the wider tail, but how much is it?

Once again, you fail to take into account the rider preference idea.

140 lbs goof riding fast moving waves would stand farther back than a 220 lb’er riding high tide Malibu.

A trim and gun guy would go single fin waaay forwards, while a twisto/flicky contest surfer would rail the fins right up to spinout standing on the tail with fins back.

So depends on rider preference.

It all works.

I’d go 7" sides, 4" tail to start.

Most of my riders in the old days preferred singles forward, from 13.5" sabres all the way to 7" normal singles (for 360’s).

How does your rider want to surf?

Hi again,

I guess I’m having some troubles on making me clear. Sorry about that. I’ve not planned to shape a Lazorzap, I’m just interested in this specific board I saw in the surfshop section in sways for curiosity. As the owner said it is a thruster, and I knew that the original design was a single finner (with a box), I’d like to know if someone had the fin placement just for matter of reasoning about it. I never touched in a Lazorzap here in Brazil, just similars shaped by some Brazilian shapers at that time. I even met Cheyne once in Brazil (see the pic), during the Hang Loose Pro Contest '86 at Joaquina Beach, in Florianopolis, Santa Catarina (Southern Brazil). Unfortunatelly, at that time, I was a novice shaper and we talk just about the boards Cheyne was riding in that contest.