Leash loop on balsa epoxy board

I am making a 7’ single fin, eps, balsa epoxy, and was wondering if anyone had any advice as to whether I could or should make a leash loop from glass/epoxy or just insert a leash cup as usual? The sandwich in the tail area will be 2+2 oz under, 3mm balsa and 4+4 oz over. I kind of fancy the leash loop coz the board has a retro kind of feel.

If I go this route should I make it up off the board and glue it on or make it on the board?.

As usual any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

I put one on my 8 footer. It definantly is strong enough. I think it is a better way to go since you eliminate a potential leak spot. I put mine on after the hotcoat. I ended up using 3 straws as spacers and attatched the leash velcro directly to the board.

do it…

i am doing one in a few hrs… i’ll post a photo or two…

do it before the hotcoat… there is a ton in the archives on leashloops…

i use a hot glue stick for the spacer…

i am doing 4oz under and 4oz over 1/16th balsa…

I read that the problem with doing it before the hotcoat is that if it fails it will take part of the deck with it.

but doing them after the hotcoat is why they fail (especially on poly), well that and sanding all the strength away, if your doing them after the hotcoat then you are basically using a “glued on” leash attachment…before the hotcoat while the lam is “green” then it is part of the board…

besides, if a good leash loop fails your probably worrying more about your life then your board…

I’d glass it on yourself while the epoxy is still green. I used a dowel wrapped with waxed paper, and then placed a bunch of strands over it and splayed them out. Once that dried, I pulled out the dowel and taped one side of the loop off, and then filled the hole up with a thick bunch of chopped strand and epoxy. I then taped off the open side too. This way it dried as a solid half moon on deck. I drilled through it, and then sanded the whole thingy and rounded it all. Like this you get a stong loop(the long stands) with a neat hole(the chop filler).

Edit… added Pic

It sure would be easier (at least better looking) for me to make them before I hotcoat. If nobody jumps in saying its a bad idea I think I’ll start making them before I hotcoat.

1/2" Baltic Birch plywood squares, glued at alternating angles…

15 minutes of wood shaping/sanding…

Glassed with fiberglass and epoxy resin …

ok heres a few choices …

i agree with dan about potential leak spots…

these days i do use commercially available leash plugs …

just make sure there is generous amount of resin around the plug inside the hole to seal where the pin is exposed and glass over everything …

prior to 97 everything was loop , but i had a glasser we called MR bubbles and his loops were shocking even tho they were pre moulded in a silacon rubber mould and all he had to do was place it on a wet layup and put 3 oval patches over the top with a slit cut in them and work out the bubbles around the edges he still couldnt get it right …

so for the sake of quality , i made the switch to standard plugs , once in , sand flat , tape then glass over , at least he could run a flat squeegee over a flat surface…

in this pic , 3 are just peices of fin panel and glassed on like a small fin and sanded to shape then drilled later after finishing …

the other 3 were done in this kool silacon rubber mould i had , the hole was pre done in the mould but not quite all the way through , the loops came out of the mould in the perfect shape with a generous foot , so they could be placed down and patches laid over with a slit cut for the loop to poke through , rovings and chopped glass were loaded into the mould dry , the mould was baked and then boiling epoxy was poured in so it ran through the glass real easy …

i would still be doing them , but i found loops just to dangerous as well …

so many times as i was loading for a big move and my foot was hard pressed against the tail on an angle , i slipped sometimes and as your foot passed over the loop , well it kinda hurt , bad …

only good if your have tail blocks …

i always wanted to use wood but never trusted the strength or seal , so when i see pauls one , im seriously impressed …

i was thinking if you want that 70s retro look what about drilling a hole through the fin , and just use the rope and sock trick , thats about as authentic 70s as you can get …

regards

BERT

Bert

mr bubbles sounds like much fun!!

On my 2 balsa boards to date, I have used bought leash cups, set into a700 corecell blocks set in the eps and then glassed over.

I will do a leash loop on this board, although if i wanted the true ‘retro’ feel, I would surely be building in pe/pu!!!

Paul

I love the ply loops, you must truly have the patience of a saint.

Dan, jip etc

thanks for the tips, I will post pics when I am done

Cheers

Mark

i used half a brass ring as a support for the glass strands.

bumping a cool old thread