"Leave it to the pros," they said

They told me to leave it to the pros, and boy were they right. Glassing, the real challenge. I thought shaping was kind of easy, and certainly enjoyable. Oh, sure, symetry suffered a little, but that’s okay since no two waves are alike anyway. Yes, shaping is great. But Glassing! Oh, the misery of it all. I have never seen so much mess, so much smell, so much dispair in all my life. What a toxic nightmare. My friends all said “leave it to the pros.” They were right. And after buying all the damn tools and brushes I didn’t save a penny over what it would have cost to take it (my new 7 footer) to Global Glassing in So. Cal. They only wanted 20 bucks a foot. Next time (this month, a 6,6 tri-squash) I am going to take it to the pros. Maybe when they glass it, and leave it under a canopy for an hour the gardner won’t come by and spray gravel all over the hotcoat with a leaf blower (DOH!). However, there is something to be said: I am a real surfer now. Although I am on my 24th year of surfing, I didn’t feel complete until I made my own board from scratch with no help from anyone (well, except the outstanding advice from all of you). And it aint half bad. The shape is nice, so turning on a rail should be pretty easy. I am a bit worried that the two outside fins aren’t exactly the same as far as verticalness is concerned (if that is even a word), and the third fin extends an inch past the tail (yeah, it was an accident, but at least it will hold in the barrel better). Yeah, no one is going to confuse it with a store bought board, that’s for sure. Hey, my label even says: “Fairbanks Surfboards, Don’t get too used to 'em.” So, I am a real surfer now, a complete surfer (well, just as soon as I sand the damn gravel out of the hotcoat). God Bless the USA and God bless the glassers. They are the true heroes.

They told me to leave it to the pros, and boy were they right. Glassing, > the real challenge. I thought shaping was kind of easy, and certainly > enjoyable. Oh, sure, symetry suffered a little, but that’s okay since no > two waves are alike anyway. Yes, shaping is great. But Glassing! Oh, the > misery of it all. I have never seen so much mess, so much smell, so much > dispair in all my life. What a toxic nightmare. My friends all said > “leave it to the pros.” They were right. And after buying all > the damn tools and brushes I didn’t save a penny over what it would have > cost to take it (my new 7 footer) to Global Glassing in So. Cal. They only > wanted 20 bucks a foot. Next time (this month, a 6,6 tri-squash) I am > going to take it to the pros. Maybe when they glass it, and leave it under > a canopy for an hour the gardner won’t come by and spray gravel all over > the hotcoat with a leaf blower (DOH!). However, there is something to be > said: I am a real surfer now. Although I am on my 24th year of surfing, I > didn’t feel complete until I made my own board from scratch with no help > from anyone (well, except the outstanding advice from all of you). And it > aint half bad. The shape is nice, so turning on a rail should be pretty > easy. I am a bit worried that the two outside fins aren’t exactly the same > as far as verticalness is concerned (if that is even a word), and the > third fin extends an inch past the tail (yeah, it was an accident, but at > least it will hold in the barrel better). Yeah, no one is going to confuse > it with a store bought board, that’s for sure. Hey, my label even says: > “Fairbanks Surfboards, Don’t get too used to 'em.” So, I am a > real surfer now, a complete surfer (well, just as soon as I sand the damn > gravel out of the hotcoat). God Bless the USA and God bless the glassers. > They are the true heroes. How much acid did your mother give you when you were a kid??? P.S. “Symmetry”, try two m’s! They give the word symmetry. And your suppost to be a teacher??? “Verticalness” Your freaking me out, God bless the dictionary… Thanks for the new entry! The New Castle has got one real fairy for sure. Now go and sand the gravel out of your hotcoat, and wear your helmet. have fun [blush]–I

How much acid did your mother give you when you were a kid??? P.S. > “Symmetry”, try two m’s! They give the word symmetry. And your > suppost to be a teacher??? “Verticalness” Your freaking me out, > God bless the dictionary… Thanks for the new entry! The New Castle has > got one real fairy for sure. Now go and sand the gravel out of your > hotcoat, and wear your helmet. have fun [blush]–I suppost hmmmm. oh, supposed. you have to open the dictionary. stop licking the cover.

They told me to leave it to the pros, and boy were they right. Glassing, > the real challenge. I thought shaping was kind of easy, and certainly > enjoyable. Oh, sure, symetry suffered a little, but that’s okay since no > two waves are alike anyway. Yes, shaping is great. But Glassing! Oh, the > misery of it all. I have never seen so much mess, so much smell, so much > dispair in all my life. What a toxic nightmare. My friends all said > “leave it to the pros.” They were right. And after buying all > the damn tools and brushes I didn’t save a penny over what it would have > cost to take it (my new 7 footer) to Global Glassing in So. Cal. They only > wanted 20 bucks a foot. Next time (this month, a 6,6 tri-squash) I am > going to take it to the pros. Maybe when they glass it, and leave it under > a canopy for an hour the gardner won’t come by and spray gravel all over > the hotcoat with a leaf blower (DOH!). However, there is something to be > said: I am a real surfer now. Although I am on my 24th year of surfing, I > didn’t feel complete until I made my own board from scratch with no help > from anyone (well, except the outstanding advice from all of you). And it > aint half bad. The shape is nice, so turning on a rail should be pretty > easy. I am a bit worried that the two outside fins aren’t exactly the same > as far as verticalness is concerned (if that is even a word), and the > third fin extends an inch past the tail (yeah, it was an accident, but at > least it will hold in the barrel better). Yeah, no one is going to confuse > it with a store bought board, that’s for sure. Hey, my label even says: > “Fairbanks Surfboards, Don’t get too used to 'em.” So, I am a > real surfer now, a complete surfer (well, just as soon as I sand the damn > gravel out of the hotcoat). God Bless the USA and God bless the glassers. > They are the true heroes. You can’t go wrong with Ernie @ Global, his experience is great as former laminator for Tom Eberly

How much acid did your mother give you when you were a kid??? P.S. > “Symmetry”, try two m’s! They give the word symmetry. And your > suppost to be a teacher??? “Verticalness” Your freaking me out, > God bless the dictionary… Thanks for the new entry! The New Castle has > got one real fairy for sure. Now go and sand the gravel out of your > hotcoat, and wear your helmet. have fun [blush]–I more of the Vagina monologs

They told me to leave it to the pros, and boy were they right. Glassing, > the real challenge. I thought shaping was kind of easy, and certainly > enjoyable. Oh, sure, symetry suffered a little, but that’s okay since no > two waves are alike anyway. Yes, shaping is great. But Glassing! Oh, the > misery of it all. I have never seen so much mess, so much smell, so much > dispair in all my life. What a toxic nightmare. My friends all said > “leave it to the pros.” They were right. And after buying all > the damn tools and brushes I didn’t save a penny over what it would have > cost to take it (my new 7 footer) to Global Glassing in So. Cal. They only > wanted 20 bucks a foot. Next time (this month, a 6,6 tri-squash) I am > going to take it to the pros. Maybe when they glass it, and leave it under > a canopy for an hour the gardner won’t come by and spray gravel all over > the hotcoat with a leaf blower (DOH!). However, there is something to be > said: I am a real surfer now. Although I am on my 24th year of surfing, I > didn’t feel complete until I made my own board from scratch with no help > from anyone (well, except the outstanding advice from all of you). And it > aint half bad. The shape is nice, so turning on a rail should be pretty > easy. I am a bit worried that the two outside fins aren’t exactly the same > as far as verticalness is concerned (if that is even a word), and the > third fin extends an inch past the tail (yeah, it was an accident, but at > least it will hold in the barrel better). Yeah, no one is going to confuse > it with a store bought board, that’s for sure. Hey, my label even says: > “Fairbanks Surfboards, Don’t get too used to 'em.” So, I am a > real surfer now, a complete surfer (well, just as soon as I sand the damn > gravel out of the hotcoat). God Bless the USA and God bless the glassers. > They are the true heroes. Mike, Don’t hang it up, it gets better every time. Trust yourself, go slow and ultimately you will be proud of your work. Magoo P.S. Dude, What did you ever do to Coral? She has a target firmly laminated to your back! Keep Surfin, Shaping, Glassing, and Sanding (to paraphrase Rich…) M.

i like to shape, but am really starting to love glassing. there are so many options when trying to decide what you want a finished board to look like. plus i think screw-ups can be easily fixed. not like foam, if foam rips or gets gauged there is little to do to make it look good again. keep 'em comin. they will get better…

suppost>>> hmmmm. oh, supposed.>>> you have to open the dictionary. stop licking the cover. suppost s u p"post" got symmetry I supposed. The cover fell in the acid. Thanks anyway

Mike,>>> Don’t hang it up, it gets better every time. Trust yourself, go slow and > ultimately you will be proud of your work.>>> Magoo>>> P.S.>>> Dude,>>> What did you ever do to Coral? She has a target firmly laminated to your > back! Coral is a she??? That changes everything. [smile]