leftover fish: pics an' jabber a la amateur

kjhlkh

[img_assist|nid=1041999|title=11teen|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=640|height=480][img_assist|nid=1041993|title=wha|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=640|height=480][img_assist|nid=1041991|title=4|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=640|height=480][img_assist|nid=1041992|title=5|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=640|height=480][img_assist|nid=1041986|title=1|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=100|height=75][img_assist|nid=1041987|title=2|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=480][img_assist|nid=1041988|title=3|desc=|link=none|align=center|width=640|height=480][img_assist|nid=1041990|title=4|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=640|height=480]

I can’t figure how to post pics and my f’ing ol lady hit ‘submit’…goddammit I am embarrassed, sorry[img_assist|nid=1041134|title=title|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=640|height=480][img_assist|nid=1041135|title=spacklin|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=640|height=480][img_assist|nid=1041994|title=it was a dark and stormy night|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=640|height=480][img_assist|nid=1041995|title=thr|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=640|height=480][img_assist|nid=1041996|title=shmitle|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=640|height=480][img_assist|nid=1041997|title=slow ass picture loading|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=640|height=480][img_assist|nid=1041998|title=whee|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=640|height=480][img_assist|nid=1042000|title=a la peanut butter sandwich|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=640|height=480][img_assist|nid=1042001|title=abcdefg, take a hint|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=640|height=480]

workin onnit…this is gonna take a while

dpicton,

That thing is so friggin’ cool! Don’t be afraid to take time to explain what you’re doing. Give your pictures meaningful titles, etc…

Thanks for sharing.

Mike

[img_assist|nid=1042002|title=yeh|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=640|height=480][img_assist|nid=1042003|title=almos'|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=640|height=480][img_assist|nid=1042004|title=how many clicks does it take to get to the|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=640|height=480]thank you, it is taking forever to load these mothers on but

I will buzzedly ramble about them when I am done with the pics, thanks so much, D[img_assist|nid=1042005|title=rdtu|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=640|height=480][img_assist|nid=1042006|title=56w4|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=640|height=480][img_assist|nid=1042007|title=couple mo'|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=640|height=480][img_assist|nid=1042008|title=Olivia's computer is a dick|desc=|link=none|align=center|width=640|height=480][img_assist|nid=1042009|title=um|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=640|height=480][img_assist|nid=1042010|title=almos' dun|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=640|height=480][img_assist|nid=1042011|title=loading pics is some kinda purgatory|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=640|height=480]

I’m only on the filler coat now, sucks I gotta work…would be cool to have a few days to knock one of these out, so structuraly, I dunno…as far as hot coat bonding to lam, naah. Been 2 days since the laminating. This one has been fun, I don;t know what to do about a vent, yet;

I’m sure it needs one. I’m sorry to keep bumping my thread, it took 45 minutes to load the pics and then I had to have a break. I will fill coat the bottom tomorrow, then some paint on the deck (not over the cedar) and another attempt at a pinline. Leash plug in 1 lb, I’m worried…but I do have some leftover corecell, never tried routering in a board, good a time as any to start, heh. more pics as it progresses. Might be boring to some, but I hear even the wizards get a kick out of step by step posts, so here you are! The water is warming up to my liking in RI…

dpicton,

You used dirt instead of a vacume set-up? Fricken brilliant idea. Thats resourceful. Mike

dirt is the poor-man’s vacuum? poetic.

I was inspired by a post of

oneola’s…he was speculating on diggin’ a hole at the beach, etc. So I have a garden at my house and one at my grandma’s and also lotsa plants going in 5gallon buckets. It was after a rain, I had these bucket of heavy, soggy dirt from last year’s peppers/'maters, and then bing! classic cartoon lightbulb over the head. No, I mean Zing! (fer you, afoaf!) thanks fer lookin! Funny how vitamin B is good fer a hangover, and a good source of vitamin b is brewers yeast. What were vacuum cleaners invented for?

[img_assist|nid=1042014|title=vent from Pete C|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=462]

Very cool idea and board.

I just put in a GoreTex vent from PeteC in the Sway’s surfshop. The install was pretty painless even on my first try.

[img_assist|nid=1030197|title=vacuum set up|desc=|link=none|align=center|width=63|height=100] But dirt works too!

When I use Gorilla glue I wipe a very thin layer on the wood and the board with a squeegee.

Have fun,

…very simple and great building techniques from the raw

I really appreciate more these buildings than a “shaper” (respected or not) that only finish a machine shaped blank

and think that he actually shaped the blank…

these antagonistic methods are closer to the pioneers, real designer, shapers and boardbuilders with passion, than the 70 % of the world wide shapers

and in my opinion, is what surfing could be

congrats

I’d like to know more about your staple technique.

Do you pull them back out after the skin is fastened to the deck or do they stay?

Thanks alot for the comments, fellers! It is awesome to hear from people who’ve made a thousand boards. Afoaf what I did was, and obviously you could just buy some nicy nice veneer, but I stapled all the pieces to eachother right onto the blank with 1/4 inch staples. It was the best way for me to visualise how much wood to use, and I only milled so much, you know. Then wiped GG on the joints. After glue dried, pulled the whole thing off. The staples kept the GG from spreading the wood apart, as it is an expanding glue, everyone knows. Pulled out the staples. Cut the outline. Traced the outline on the blank. GG inside lines (epoxy better, of course, but I am no pro! ordered epoxy fer lamming etc., but had none at that stage…) Dampen skin. I know you are a Vacketeer, but even if I get rich, I will hire a hot maid to do my vacuuming! So in the meantime, dirt will reign. Proceeded with the dirtbaggin’, and then sanded off the smeary GG off the top. Seemed to work out great. Hotcoated deck today. Lookin’ into getting a vent from the guy someone suggested on a comment above… then sand, etc., paint, gloss. I like painting my boards. Don’t have a sprayer, just brushes and whatnot, might try watering acyrlic down and putting it in a squirt bottle this time, see what that does. No swirly dipping on this one, though I am keen to experiment with that

you’ve given new meaning to the term ’ backyard shaper ', for sure.

[img_assist|nid=1042685|title=acrylic squirtfest|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=640|height=480]Just wanted to update the progress on this one…it’s been slow. [img_assist|nid=1042686|title=mekka lekka yeller|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=640|height=480]This worked better than I thought it would, the squirt bottle…I don’t have a sprayer, and I was trying to not have brush marks on this one. Like dirtbaggin’ vs. vac bagging though, obviously a paint sprayer is key. Between the nose and where the cedar veneer starts it sort of pooled up and I had to daub off some excess with a rag, little smoodgie there, elsewhere VERY even coverage.[img_assist|nid=1042687|title=pinline sloppery|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=640|height=480]I read a tip from Jensen; only I didn’t use a washer but a piece of cedar shake in between two razor blades to cut the pinline into tape. Wobbly. I have respect for anyone who can pull off this seemingly minor detail with subtlety and precision![img_assist|nid=1042688|title=hi ho dadario|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=640|height=480]So now I feel like I got McDonald’s colors going on, need something to distract the senses…[img_assist|nid=1042689|title=tape/stencil|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=640|height=480]I have been a stonemason for more years than I have been a carpenter, which is what I am now, won’t bother to explain why here. Building arches was my favorite thing. Sunflowerish though it be, this li’l deal is more or less a stone arch, or at least was easy for me to draw and cut out cuz of building with stone.[img_assist|nid=1042690|title=ya se fue el piedrero|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=640|height=480]Ok. so today I glossed it, I couldn’t wait. Going to see one of my brothers in VA beach next weekend, wanna take the whole army in case we are blessed with waves. Usually do the leash plug before, dunno why I didn’t…anyway, might put a vent in from Pete C but it will Shirly be retrofit at this point.[img_assist|nid=1042691|title=magnet for hapless buggies and specketh of dust|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=640|height=480][img_assist|nid=1042692|title=skillsaw massacre|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=640|height=480]Sorry, I had to throw this in here!.#1 will make some eye-lookin boggie boards for my son and nephews…Aright, buenas olas to everybody this summer

Well, that just rocks. I look at all my tools and stuff and feel guilty.

OK, no I don’t. But still, your method is just ingenius. Keep at it.

I just wanted to say thank you Greg tate, I don’t even know you or anyone on here, but I can only imagine you have knocked off a few hundred or thousand boards, so that’s encouraging for me. This is my last post/bump for this thread, unless I get some good ride pics next weekend down yonder! I will let this thread slip under the drink, but I will post again on the next one…this recycled eps board was a fun build, but I loved making #6, so I think #8 will be a corecell jobby as well…naw I wouldn’t feel guilty about whatever tools you got, either! We got a couple planers in my family construction biz, I juss don’t trust myself yet fer that kinda turbo shaping. Surform, sandpaper and brew, where it’s at. Synergy Todd dirty dancing with the troll thread was a blast to read, but he said it about what it takes to make a board- only the time I spend on these, I might make $.80 an hr if I tried to sell one, factoring in time and design flaws, and that’s being generous, I’m sure.I’d never try to sell one…people like my Grandma don’t get it. Whatayya gonna do with all those? Choppem in half with a skillsaw, that’s what. givem away, do better on the next one, heh, heh…I know my limits, I am 31, and unless I had daily seshes in HI for a year, I know I will prolly never surf Pipe. Dominical, CR is a blast, and anything that doesn’t give more of a beating than that, which is easy to find on the east coast US, I’ll be there when I can. Ok, 'nuf.