Length to rocker comparison

Hi guys.

I am shaping another board as a 6’1 shortboard. I’m making the exact same model as my last 5’9 board. For the 5’9 board I had a nose rocker of 5 1/4 and tail rocker of 2 1/4.

My question is being a 6’1 would it be a better idea to higher the rocker as the length has been tampered with, I want the exact same feel as the last 5’9 but with a little more foam because that 5’9 rips and unfortunately it broke :frowning:

Cheers

The difference is so small, as to be insignificant, IMO. Stick with the devil you know. Worst case, you’ll learn something about the relationship of board length and rocker. Those rocker figures are what I used on eight foot long Mini Guns, in Hawaii, in 1970/1971 and beyond.

Good to hear. I was hoping I didn’t have to reschedule a rocker. Thanks :slight_smile:

Interesting thought. Why go longer, and not thicker?

Because you want the board to make longer turns. That means stretch the rocker.

If you want to paddle faster, but turn the same, then go thicker. Up to a point o course.

Every feature of a design does something to the ride. So why are you making a longer board?

Adding to my last post, does a longer board paddle faster and turn straighter only because of length?
It’s not the length or the volume alone. It’s the flatter rocker you get with a longer board, along with the volume. Length is a by product of the other two. IMHO

Kudos
everysurfer.
Volume is
and that is that