Light It UP!

From the surfermag.com recap of the just-concluded ASR Long Beach trade show: (About Rusty) “They’re also playing with fiberglass removable fin systems, which look to be a good step into the future.” Comments anyone? Feel free to give it both barrels.

…Tom has mentioned that Rusty was using his product.The Red-x Fiberglass fins are sweet!I’m thinking about getting some in a X-7,AND X-1 templates.Tom should give more input on this subject.Herb

…Tom has mentioned that Rusty was using his product.The Red-x > Fiberglass fins are sweet!I’m thinking about getting some in a X-7,AND X-1 > templates.Tom should give more input on this subject.Herb Ummm. The idea is fine, but it reads like a fiberglass removable fin system is “a step into the future”. What’s the point of my being old and still having brain cells if not to point out that such a concept has been in constant production since the 60’s, or something? Just a snotty, Troll-like moment on my part.

I guess the question is: all things being equal – how would fiberglass vs. plastic compare at the track?

I guess the question is: all things being equal – how would fiberglass > vs. plastic compare at the track? The interesting part is that both “fiberglass” and “plastic” fins are both fiberglass and plastic. The injection molded fins that I make are filled with chopped fiberglass. The laminated fins are made from fiberglass cloth. The laminated fins are formed with a polyester binder which is a thermoset plastic and injection molded fins are formed with a nylon binder which is thermoplastic. The physical characteristics of each can be very similar to one another depending upon the percentage of fiberglass that is used and the temperature range they are intended to be used in. Laminated fins tend to be heavier than injection molded fins of the same thickness. So, if you like very fine (thin)foils and you intend to use the fins in a tropical climate laminated fins are worth the additional expense. But, if you like fuller foils and surf in cool water climates the injection molded fins will have a weight and cost savings. One of the biggest draw backs to thruster based fin systems in the past was the tendency for the fin to loosen up in the box over use. As the base of the fin becomes looser the efficiency of the foil is compromised due to turbulence and wash out. Our primary focus when designing Red X was to make the most secure attachment method possible with todays technology. The Red X System is the strongest most secure attachment method available today including glass ons.

The interesting part is that both “fiberglass” and > “plastic” fins are both fiberglass and plastic. The injection > molded fins that I make are filled with chopped fiberglass. The laminated > fins are made from fiberglass cloth. The laminated fins are formed with a > polyester binder which is a thermoset plastic and injection molded fins > are formed with a nylon binder which is thermoplastic. The physical > characteristics of each can be very similar to one another depending upon > the percentage of fiberglass that is used and the temperature range they > are intended to be used in. Laminated fins tend to be heavier than > injection molded fins of the same thickness.>>> So, if you like very fine (thin)foils and you intend to use the fins in a > tropical climate laminated fins are worth the additional expense. But, if > you like fuller foils and surf in cool water climates the injection molded > fins will have a weight and cost savings. Thanks for the clear picture on composites Tom. Where do polycarbonate, foam–glass laminated, and epoxy laminated fins fit into the picture, or do they? Mahalo, Rich>>> One of the biggest draw backs to thruster based fin systems in the past > was the tendency for the fin to loosen up in the box over use. As the base > of the fin becomes looser the efficiency of the foil is compromised due to > turbulence and wash out. Our primary focus when designing Red X was to > make the most secure attachment method possible with todays technology. > The Red X System is the strongest most secure attachment method available > today including glass ons.

Thanks for the clear picture on composites Tom. Where do polycarbonate, > foam–glass laminated, and epoxy laminated fins fit into the picture, or > do they?>>> Mahalo, Rich Polycarbonate is a thermoplastic resin just like nylon. Both need to be injected at temperature ranging from 500F to 580F. Both are very rigid materials. But, polycarbonate is abit stiffer in its unfilled state and more brittle. Nylon is a tougher material and with a 50% Fiberglass fill it becomes quite stiff. Polycarbonate does make pretty clear unfilled fins though. Foam fins are typically made via a process called RTM. Resin Transfer Molding with Thermoset resins either epoxy or polyester is done in a mold with a preshaped foam core setting on a schedule of fiberglass or carbonfiber cloth. They introduce the resin via a pump or a vaccume and fill remaining space with in the mold until the cloth has wetted out and the resin has cured. Then they have to trim and finish the fins. This is the lightest and most labor intensive way to make fins. Depending upon how you schedule your laminates and types of materials these can be very, very strong stiff fins or weak and flexy. But, they are expensive. Red X has cored super light fins available. We have not done any polycarbonate fins todate. But, when we made the O’Fish’l system we made sidebites that were polycarbonate.