Lightning Bolt Logo

During the early to mid 70’s everyone was putting lightning bolts on their boards

until Shipley(owner of Lightning Bolt with Gerry Lopez) cracked down through his copyright ownership.

At that juncture if you asked for art that had the lightning bolt you’d be turned down

if it wasnt through the Lightning Bolt shop.

Having had a Billy Hamilton and Steve Walden Lightning Bolt before (sorry Bill Barnfield).

I am a bit fond of the way I had my lightning bolt art customized before.

Here it is 2008 and I am thinking of putting a lightning bolt rice paper logo on my board

that I designed and printed myself. Art, no words.

Have noticed a bit of resurgence of this lately.

Q: Will this make any glassing houses nervous in 2008, in California?

Here are some nice links:

http://www.vintagebolt.com/index.html

http://www.lightningboltmaui.com/

One personal board, probably not. Now if you started to build a bunch of them to sell, you would probably hear from whoever has the license to build them stateside which I believe is still Craig Hollingsworth.

one thing the Hawaii’ans are about is respect

dont do it

not cool

Well, I went to the U.S. patent and trademarks office website

http://www.uspto.gov/#

and used (TESS) to search both live and dead trademarks

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=i8jopr.1.1

and found some interesting things regarding trademarks and surfboards.

It would appear that the simple use of a lightning bolt image is not in violation

of anyones trademark related to surfboards.

1)searched ‘lightning bolt’

words are associated with goods and services related to clothing.

Expired for wetsuits related to a broad category of water sports.

Expired for pendants,bracelets, certain jewelry.

LIVE:

the words ‘Lightning Bolt’

Goods & Services: surfboards; windsurfing boards; skateboards; kneeboards; wakeboards; skimboards, snow skis; snow ski poles; water skis; volleyballs; baseballs; softballs; tennis balls; basketballs; golf balls; footballs; soccer balls; paddle balls; baseball bats; tennis rackets; paddle ball rackets; and toys, namely, board games; toy cars; beach balls, kites and wind socks. FIRST USE: 19711201

Here is another current one:

Word Mark LIGHTNING BOLT Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Eyeglasses including sunglasses. FIRST USE: 19980600. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19980600

IC 014. US 002 027 028 050. G & S: watches. FIRST USE: 19980600. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19980600

IC 024. US 042 050. G & S: towels. FIRST USE: 19980600. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19980600

IC 025. US 022 039. G & S: T-shirts, footwear and caps. FIRST USE: 19750701. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19750701

IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: Skateboards. FIRST USE: 19770700. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19770700 Mark Drawing Code (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS----note words with design logo are trademarked.

searched ‘surfboard’ and found all surfboard companies with both current and dead trademarks:

found Dick Brewers wreath trademark expired in 1983

Word Mark DICK BREWER SURFBOARDS Goods and Services (CANCELLED) IC 028. US 022. G & S: SURFBOARDS (NOT MOTORIZED). FIRST USE: 19700430. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19700430 Mark Drawing Code (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS Serial Number 73082723 Filing Date April 5, 1976 Current Filing Basis 1A Original Filing Basis 1A Registration Number 1049128 Registration Date September 28, 1976 Owner (REGISTRANT) Brewer; Richard A. UNKNOWN Honolulu HAWAII

(LAST LISTED OWNER) RICHARD A. BREWER UNKNOWN 1732 KAPIOLANI BLVD. HONOLULU HAWAII 96814 Disclaimer NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE “SURFBOARDS” APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN Type of Mark TRADEMARK Register PRINCIPAL Live/Dead Indicator DEAD Cancellation Date February 22,1983

Conclusion: no one owns the trademark concerning surfboards of either a wreath design or a lightning bolt.

Moreover, since I’m not out to deceive any consumers, much less even try to sell a board,

it looks like a lightning bolt is going on my next board!

Otis,

How would you like an EXACT size template, of the original Bolt, that I designed? PM a mailing address to me, if you are interested.

exactly what I need, thanks Bill.

here s another , original bolt shaper in ventura area-chuck vinson. pm me if you want info…

Well I applied my lightning bolt pinline using regular tape

and sanding resin --pigmentized.

Unfortunately, my taping and pinlining skills leave something to be desired.

…try, try again!

Send me one!

Communicate with me by PM. Provide contact information.

Thank you Bill.

case in point for the opening line…Echo beach, Pat Hanifin/(early)Peter Schroff board with the lightning bolt. 8’2" x 22" x 3"