Lightning bolt template?

I would like to do a resin or acrylic lightning bolt in white on a board I am making. I read some threads and it seems there were some templates knocking around some years back. Does anyone know how i could get hold of one, or perhaps just the dimensions so I can mask it off myself? I want it big to cover 1/2 to 2/3 of the 6’2" board. Any help appreciated, otherwise I will have to eyeball it but would really like the original Lopez gun version of the bolt, and the same size ideally

The original ‘‘Bolt’’ graphics, were 26 inches +/-, tip to tip.     All were done with opaque yellow pigment.       Mr. Lopez had no part in the ‘‘Bolt’’ graphic design, or the design of the original 18 boards, produced for the brand.

C’mon Bill, don’t hold out on the boy.   Tell him what happened on this forum the last time two of our builders used that logo on project boards.  That way he can make an informed decision whether or not to proceed.   

The graphic can be freely used, as a graphic design.      It is in the public domain.       While I created the design, for use on LightningBolt Surfboards, when I did thier first 18 boards for them on contract.       That artistic representation of a lightning bolt, has been around for at least 100 years.    The LightningBolt guys all but shit and rolled in it, but backed down when confronted with reality.

If I recall correctly, these guys had plenty to say about it.  I honestly don’t know enough about the legalities one way or the other…   http://hollingsworthsurf.com/portfolio/lightning-bolt/

That’s true.      But after some PM communication with me, followed up by some telephone conversation, the tone changed.      Shortly thereafter, Mr. Paskowitz, as a peace offering, sent me several LightningBolt T- shirts.    And the threats and posturing suddenly stopped.      Do you think it was something I said?     I used those T-Shirts as part of the padding on a reproduction of one of the first 18 boards I designed and built for them in 1971, that was sent to a customer in England.      

Woah, what have I (re) started?!!!

Firstly - Bill, thanks for your replies here. and secondly, my sincere apologies if I screwed up here and the design is yours as it sounds from this thread it does.  I agree its technically a public domain icon, but its use in that form on a surfboard was ICONIC in itself, and SOMOENE came up with that. I understand copyright law and I know that this is not a registered trademark or copyrighted (technically) but I am not just looking to be textbook correct in the law, I also want to feel good about using it. My reading of various threads found many members saying it belongs to Gerry Lopez. I therefore emailed them and asked permission to use on a non-commercial board I am making for a friend (who wanted that iconic bolt on the deck). They said “go for it”, which satisfied any moral questions I wanted to clear up before using it comfortably.

I am now feeling a bit cheated. They gave me permission to use something they didn’t design?! If that’s the case they should have said “Go for it… but you might want to ask the guy who designed it for use on a surfboard first…” !!

If there is more I should know before using it, I hope someone would kindly tell me. Otherwise, if it doesn’t cause any problem for anyone, I will look for a template or make one up if I can.

Thanks, and apologies to you Bill, I didn’t read enough threads and it looks like this has been a headache for you for a while so I don’t want to add to that, it’s not critical that I use it anyway and certainly not worth causing any hassle for :slight_smile:

Hey Bill, I noticed some of the lightening bolt graphics lined up right down the stringer while others are sort of ‘half cocked’. Was there a rule of thumb or trick to placing these or was it whatever the glasser felt at the time? 

At least half of the first 18 boards had the Bolts lined up on the stringer.     All were done with opaque yellow pigmented resin.     My glosser David Burnham, a very artistic fellow, started ‘‘cocking’’ the Bolt tips about 1/2 inch off center.       When I asked why, he said he thought it was more visually interesting.       His reasoning was the same, when he did the ‘‘Shadow Bolts’’ on a few boards.     He was correct on both counts.      So much so, that the graphic is still being done the same way today, 47 years later.      Ironically, David lives in Bend, Oregon, on the same road that Gerry Lopez lives on.

Back when I did mine I placed the bolt slightly askew, even tho it took a bit more work, because it looked more interesting to me. Kenny ran his parallel with the stringer, but with the shadow bolt (and the rail bolts). I really didnt think anyone else noticed those kind of details, haha.

That wooden board is beautiful, bolt or no bolt

So last weekend SHACC held a large fundraiser that honored women in surfing. 

This  Jerry Lopez shaped Phil Roberts artwork board dedicated to Rell Sunn sold for $25,000. 

To Metz. 

BTW, if you’re going to do a single fin aimed at juicy conditions then don’t make it too short.  They need a bit of rail line to work.   That’s 7-0 length isn’t a crutch, it’s an engine.   

As I recall, the size range of the boards that I made for LightningBolt in 1971, were from 7’ 2’’ to 8’ 2’‘, with the bulk of them @ 7’ 6’‘.      I think we only made one 8’ 2’’ board.     Most were diamond tails, as they were in fashion, at that time.    Probably did 3 sq. tails, at most.    The rest were pintails.      All of those original LightningBolts were made with my California Mini Gun template, that was the Surf Systems Santa Cruz Model.     Many people rode them in Hawaii too.      Me among them.      EDIT:   I still have all those templates, they are  as valid today, as they were then.

It looks like someone deleted my post. Could the censor kindly explain why please?

Re the OP - would acrylic paint be a problem on the scale of a lightning bolt, ie with any delam or other issues? Would resin be better? Appreciate any comments if anyone has used acrylic paint between lam and gloss coat

Love the board was it a hollow wooden version you have done here? I will drop you a pm as well. 

By way of FYI history, the Bolt graphic on the original 18 boards, was done with  (out of the can) opaque yellow pigment.        I’m sure all subsequent LightningBolt surfboards had the bolt graphic done in resin too.