liquitex spray paint for foam ?

Picked up some paint from the surf supply shop in town and they had this new stock item.I was told you spray the foam then glass, looked cool so I grab a few. Wondering if anyone used it before and had any tips or issues. I was kinda wondering how to sand the cloth lap line and not hit paint on deck or make a mess or sand lap line then touch up spray the scrathes if I hit paint/foam. Can’t wait to try it out

thanks tom

Liquitex will work, another good one is Montana Gold they have a bit more variety of colors. 

After lamming the bottom grab a paintbrush and give the lap a quick brush with a little bit of lam resin, I do it at the same time as the lamination. Don’t go mad with it, you just want to make sure the foam near the lap has a thin layer.

This gives you a bit of protection while sanding the lap so you dont hit the foam and ruin the paint job.

I usually seal the paint with acrylic as I have had problems with crystslisation of paint in the past, and also some problems with the resin making the paint bleed slightly in places (depends on what paint brand and color I’m using) The clear coat is just done to take those factors out of the equation.

Thanks for the tip. That’s a good idea. I’ll be using RR epoxy so I’ll put some on and sand with caution. 

Distilled water ONLY.

Any high quality Ayrlic paint will work. If you went the color to last don’t use the Liquitex Basic. Golden is another very good brand of Aycrlic paint. Created makes a ready to spray line of paints. It’s used by airbrush artist in painting custom motorcycle and custom cars

I’ve used Liquitex Basic quite a bit without any issues. I’ve also used a brand called My Studio quite a bit too. The only board I’ve ever had a color issue with acrylic on was one that was neon green.

Use pigmented resin and not spar to shoot the hotcoat of an old board.

Paint is tricky as the gloss won’t stick really well and can peel. Also, you’ll probably sand through and then you’ll be screwed.

Paint can be done and does look good, resin is just a safer bet.

Just my opinion- other my disagree-you do as you please.

Again! Flat Interior house paint. Although I occasionally use a few colors in Tempra. Mostly Red and Green.