Logo Options

Rice paper under the lam coat is “ok” but doesn’t show up very clear after board is completed. On top of sanded hot coat, is Posca pens my only option? Can I lay down logo print made out of…some sort of preprinted plastic or something? Then lay down the gloss coat?

How do the “pros” get nice colorful logos on their boards that aren’t hand drawn with Posca??

Howzit 220, You should be able to print lams on rice paper that look just fine. I print them for quite a few shapers and there's no problems. I have seen some that were not done very good but it was because the person didn't know how to print them. I've got a board that Gerald Saunders glassed that I'm putting a fin box inb that the lam he printed looks old and faded, but it's because he printed it in the economy mode which is wrong. Spend a little time and ink to improve on the lams, next thing you know they'll be looking fine. Aloha,Kokua

if your sanding the hotcoat pretty rough and dull . that can make the picture also look a little rough and dull

Howzit have, But that would make any lam seem a little blurry, but if it gets a gloss it will sharpen the look. There are a lot of factors involved when printing lams and it takes some practice to get them really nice and sharp. I went thriough quite a bit of ink and paper learning what it takes to print good laminates. I sometimes print as many as 200 a month, plus working on the designs themselves, but it gets me out of the shop and makes a few extra bucks on the side. Aloha, Kokua

The problem with ink-jet lams is print quality vs. paper. If you use very transparent rice paper, it just won’t hold enough ink without smearing (as compared to the print quality of regular paper), so the color density isn’t great. This does look OK on clear boards, but it won’t stand out well with tints and obviously won’t work with dark opaques. If you use the heavy paper, it’s not transparent but the print quality is good/better than regular paper. I use a logo with a background enclosed within a border on very heavy rice paper. I color the background with the printer to compliment the board color. Paint the back of the paper with several light coats of krylon, cut it out along the border and laminate. Use extra resin under the lam and squeegee well; the painted side won’t absorb resin thru it like a transparent lam. I do a lot of these, and everyone thinks they are screened lams. I also put them directly on dark colored hotcoats with 4 oz cloth covering it.

A mate of mine prints them using an ink jet on best quality, and to avoid bleeding, gets them made into iron on transfers and irons them onto the rice paper. No bleeding, great colours, no fuss.