logo

I want to do a logo on my computer that I can transfer to rice paper. My idea involes typing a text along a curve. Has anyone done this and if so want program did you use? P.S. I’ve become a Swaylock’saholic!

use adobe illustrator. kirk

Photoshop is king. The learning curve is a little steep if you’ve never used it but there are lots of online tutorials to help you. TS>>> I want to do a logo on my computer that I can transfer to rice paper. My > idea involes typing a text along a curve. Has anyone done this and if so > want program did you use? P.S. I’ve become a Swaylock’saholic!

http://user.fundy.net/morris/redirect.html?photoshop7.shtml Keep in mind that many of the tutorials online are specific to the version of the app you are using. tom

I do that kind of stuff all day long. Illustrator is the way to go. You could also use freehand, or corel draw. Photoshop is an excellent program for photo editing or for painting, but it does not handle type setting very well. The newer version 6 handles vector type setting but it is not as easy to use as Illustrator or Freehand. You want to get a vector based drawing program (illustrator, freehand etc.) to do cool effects on type. Get photoshop if you want to paint, import scanned images, do cool backgrounds etc. The difference between vector (illustrator) and rastor (photoshop) programs is that vector images will have points that can be tweaked (pulled pushed) the computer reads these points and knows what type of effect is inside of them (red, blue, chrome whatever). Rastor images are made up of dots and to make changes you must select these dots with some kind of tool or separated in layers. This is over simplified but the bottom line is that vector images are very scaleable, that is you can blow them up or shrink them and they will stay sharp because the computer is only calculating the changes of the points and there color values. Whereas a rastor when it is blown up or scaled down the computer has to calculate a change in every dot. Which results in a big file and a fuzzy image. Bottom line for type setting and drawing illustrations go vector, for painting, photo editing, funky filter effects go rastor. Sorry I am rambling.

That’s a great help to me, as I have Illustrator but have never taken the time to sit down and use it properly. Thanks! Tom>>> I do that kind of stuff all day long. Illustrator is the way to go. You > could also use freehand, or corel draw. Photoshop is an excellent program > for photo editing or for painting, but it does not handle type setting > very well. The newer version 6 handles vector type setting but it is not > as easy to use as Illustrator or Freehand. You want to get a vector based > drawing program (illustrator, freehand etc.) to do cool effects on type. > Get photoshop if you want to paint, import scanned images, do cool > backgrounds etc.>>> The difference between vector (illustrator) and rastor (photoshop) > programs is that vector images will have points that can be tweaked > (pulled pushed) the computer reads these points and knows what type of > effect is inside of them (red, blue, chrome whatever). Rastor images are > made up of dots and to make changes you must select these dots with some > kind of tool or separated in layers. This is over simplified but the > bottom line is that vector images are very scaleable, that is you can blow > them up or shrink them and they will stay sharp because the computer is > only calculating the changes of the points and there color values. Whereas > a rastor when it is blown up or scaled down the computer has to calculate > a change in every dot. Which results in a big file and a fuzzy image. > Bottom line for type setting and drawing illustrations go vector, for > painting, photo editing, funky filter effects go rastor. Sorry I am > rambling.

Yeah you should check it out, it can be a powerful tool if you use it for the right application.

how intuitive would you say is the illustrator user interface for/from the point of view of a novice user with little graphics program experience? i see they have a free trial 9.0 version. http://www.adobe.com/products/illustrator/main.html

You can even use “Printshop III Deluxe” for logos and text. Make sure you use “lam paper” from an art store or shaper-glasser supplier. They call it "surf paper at some art stoes.>>> I want to do a logo on my computer that I can transfer to rice paper. My > idea involes typing a text along a curve. Has anyone done this and if so > want program did you use? P.S. I’ve become a Swaylock’saholic!

psst…you can download all the program that they have talked about from www.kazaa.com…but this you didnt hear from me…