Lokbox Fin Hum

Recently got a board with Lokbox fins. I’ve been experiencing a lot of hum. Anyone ever have that problem with their system? Kinda upsets me cause I spent a lot of cash on the board and expected the thing to work right.

Seems to me that they put too much gap between the fin box and the fin and that may be what causes the whistle. Considering sticking wax in there.

I don’t mean to call them out, but If I had made a board that did what this thing does I would go back to he drawing board. Is it just a crap product?? Like the idea of moving my fins around but in hindsight maybe glass ons would have been better.

Anyone have the same problem? Thanks!

If there’s a gap between the fin and the box then just sand down the bottom tab of the fin. Not that hard. Don’t get all pissy about it because the fin is humming. The odds are that your shaper did nothing wrong.

Other possibilities are a weird trailing edge on the fins. Sand 'em with a little 400 and see what happens.

Feel free to move the fins around if you want to experiment, a little humming is not the end of the world.

worst fin hum I ever heard was on a Brewer with glass on fins. Even if you see a gap, I doubt the hum is coming from the bottom of the fin, usually it’s the thinnest area(s) vibrating - rear edge, tip of fin. Try swapping out fins one at a time so you can see which one is humming (try THAT with glass ons?). Or bring some sandpaper in the water with you.

As I understand it’s unlikely the gap is causing hum. Do a swaylocks search on the topic and you will find your answer for that

Lokbox fins will sit flush, do not sand the fin tab. The tab and cavity are tapered; designed to be a super tight fit - no play.

Make sure the deck under the fin is well supported. Make sure there is no debris or production gunk in the cavity or on the fin tab.

Put the fin loosely into the cavity and align the steel tab into the side slot in the fin. Line up the trailing edge of the fin to the position you want. Press the fin in using firm downward pressure, slightly rocking back & forth as it gets tighter if necessary. Make sure the metal tab as well as the fin position stays lined up. When you cannot go any further by hand, take out your wide bladed driver that fits snug in the screw head. Keep one hand on the blade end, guiding it/keep it from possibly jumping out of the slot as you are turning the driver.

Tighten the screw. Tighten the screw harder. Do not be afraid to tighten the screw down, it’s in the design.

JJR will eventually step in to slap me around but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night

hth

Thanks as usual Bud, your always there for us! If your fin is humming it has nothing to do with any gaps between the board and the fin. If that were actually true Speedfins would have been out of business on day one and you’d see FCS users on here daily complaining about it.

Please follow the instructions posted by Bud to get your fin(s) flush. They will go flush without having to sand the tab. Don’t be afraid of any creaking noise you may hear it’s just the fin seating into the box. The key is a good sized screwdriver like Bud said that fit’s the slot snugly. Tighten until the screw seems like it’s as tight as it gets, then grab the fin like the handle of pistol, rock slightly back and forth while applying downforce. Tighten the screw. You’ll be suprised that everytime you repeat this you get a little more out of the screw and the fin goes a little further in until it is eventually flush. We make it this tight purposely so the there is no slop ever between the fin and the box. After installing and removing the fin a couple of hundred times you’ll notice that it still fits tight.

Now, onto your humming problem - There is most likely a flat spot on the trailing edge of one of the fins, or a build-up of the clear spray. Closely inspect the trailing edge of all of your fins for any imperfections. If you pinch the rear edge with your fingers and run them up and down you should feel if there are any globs of clear or weird spots. The rear edge of fins need to be fairly sharp in order for them to release water cleanly. The hum is a micro-vibration that occurs behind the fin when water get’s hung up upon trying to release off the trailing edge. If you inspect closely and see anything other than a symmetrical, SHARP trailing edge then it can be sanded sharp with a piece of 220 sandpaper. On single foil fins you’ll sharpen the foiled side towards the flat side. On center or double foiled fins you’ll sharpen both sides to meet in the center. Rainbows fins are still hand made and it is possible to get one humming once in a while. PM me if you can’t make it stop. Cheers Jim

Darlin’, I just spent close to 700 bucks on a board and the fins are whistling -bad. When I used to make a board with fins that whistled I was upset at myself. And I’m a kook as a shaper/ glasser/ sander. Fins should not hum.

It’s not the shapers fault whatsoever and i realize it aint the end of the world.

and who cares if you make swaylocks co-ed? it’s a non issue. just type something worthwhile and leave it at that.

someones got sand in their little troll hole…

congratulations!

The 700 bucks you spent on that board are not what’s causing your pain. It’s the roughly $70 in fins that is. Chances are your shaper grabbed a handful out of a box and slapped 'em on. I may be a poor college kid, but I wouldn’t be crying about a $70 problem that’s solved by a $1 sheet of sandpaper.

If you’ll kindly look at my reply I told you how to fix your problem. I made a board with glass on fins that I let a friend test ride for the first time. He called me up the next day and said the fins hummed. No problem I said, grab some sandpaper and sand down the trailing edge. Problem solved.

As for your misogynist comment, I’ll just avoid responding to that. There has been so much less controversy since Roy left, and it wouldn’t be right for me to instigate more.

Aw hell, your wife surf near you when you talk like that?

Sweetie, I ain’t cryin. It’s the little barbs you throw into your advice that I object to.

I fully realize that there needs to be a smooth transition on the rear edge of a fin. That’s kind of ‘no shit’ advice. Not to say I don’t appreciate the effort though cause it is the first thing that needs to be looked at.

What frustrates me -and it’s apparant you aren’t getting this, is that I spent too much money on a board and it isn’t functioning correctly. Not the shapers fault. The fins aren’t functioning as they should. End of story. I shouldn’t have to file edges of a professionaly made product (though I don’t think that’s the problem).

When moved all the way forward (or back I believe) the boxes have gaps that are roughly 1/4" round and less than an inch deep. That, plus the screw set up they use seem like something that simply should not be on the bottom of a surfboard. To me it seems clumsy. I want clean. Make sense? Those gaps look really akward and the whistling is really bad. I thought the two may be connected.

BUT… I did do a search here on their fins and I didn’t see any mention of problems like I’m having -so they may be a great product. I definately commend them on making an adjustable fin, it’s a great thing to be able to do.

700.00 dollars ain’t shit for a good board so get over it

Internet tough guy, love it.

Speak fo yoself. 700 bucks is a lot to me dude.

sorry bro but your cryn about a problem that is remedied in about two seconds with a little sand paper and make it sound like you were cheated or something.

I can go into the fluid/vibration mechanics of why a slightly messed up trailing edge on a fin can make it hum. It isnt the gaps or the screws. I can explain why if you would like? Let me know. Have you tried the sandpaper yet?

Dont get pissed that you bought a product that has a very very slight defect, especially when it can be easily repaired. Just get some sandpaper and fix it. Whenever you buy any product there is a risk that there might be a defect. Ever heard of a lemon car for example? If you are not comfortable with the risk of buying something, then dont buy it. And if you can fix it why shouldn’t you? A $1 sheet of sandpaper to fix a $700 product is like a .2% repair cost.

Thanks for the help guys. Joel, I agree that when you purchase a product it should work as it is marketed, hand made or not. We’re realistic that there can be some defects and go to many extremes to insure that it’s minimized, but customer support is important as well, which is one of the reasons I’m here. I suggested to check them as it really is an easy fix. If you’d like to just have them replaced just pm me your mailing info and which template and they’ll be on the way. Thanks Jim

Quote:

Tighten the screw. Tighten the screw harder. Do not be afraid to tighten the screw down, it’s in the design.

euh… yesterday I bust a fin tab while doin that… okay it wasn’t a lokbox just a center fin but still… don’t go gorilla on these things I say…

I’ve been trying to get all four fins on my quad to hum in harmony.

Almost there…

JJR, you are really going a little too far out of your way for this troll.

If he PMs you his mail information, I suggest putting a piece of the 220 grit in an envelope with the instructions repeated.

Products that are made by people don’t come out perfect every time. If you buy a car with a warranty and it breaks down you have to take it back to the dealer to have it fixed. That is part of buying a product. Sometimes they have problems, although the hum is not really a problem.

JJR maybe you should have the guy send you his fins, you can (even though they are made by Rainbow to fit in a Lokbox fin system) sand them down for him and send them back.

Quote:

I’ve been trying to get all four fins on my quad to hum in harmony.

Almost there…

Oh…you beat me to it! Damn time zones always mess up internet timing.

“Darlin”? “Sweetie”? Is this guy for real? He sure knows how to push buttons right from start.

It’s hardly worth mentioning at this point, but I couldn’t resist. Joel, the gaps in the fin box allow you to adjust the fins forward or back. They certainly don’t adversely affect performance in any way. In fact my quad (with Lokbox’s) is the smoothest, most responsive board I’ve ever had.

Just sand the trailing edge of your fins and enjoy the ride!

Toodles. :)~

Quote:

Darlin’, I just spent close to 700 bucks on a board and the fins are whistling -bad. When I used to make a board with fins that whistled I was upset at myself. And I’m a kook as a shaper/ glasser/ sander. Fins should not hum.

It’s not the shapers fault whatsoever and i realize it aint the end of the world.

and who cares if you make swaylocks co-ed? it’s a non issue. just type something worthwhile and leave it at that.

It’s just that your post makes you sound stupid and immature to a degree that is not easily suffered by someone as obviously bright as she is. You should word you posts so that they reveal, rather than conceal, your true brilliance and maturity, in order that we may all be instructed by your uncommonly keen insights and be awed by the depth of you character. She meant well, so take her post in the spirit in which it was offered, or see the admin for a full refund.

When you’re in a hole, its best to stop digging.