Longboard Build from a Live Tree

I built a 9’6 longboard out of a live tree that I cut down and documented the process in a video! I hope you all are entertained by it and can provide me with some constructive criticism!

I learned a lot from this forum, and Brian (from Greenlight) is the one who made it possible with his Vented Leash Cup!

I don’t know how this thread was posted with no content? Whenever I post just pictures, I still have to write something in the comment box, even if its just a period.

Anyway, we have an interesting thread title, so I’ll leave it up in hopes the o.p. will clarify. If nothing appears, I will eventually delete it.

I read on here a lot, but this is my first time posting, sorry I screwed it up! I thought it looked strange, but I think I just typed the info in the summary instead of the body which was obviously wrong!

thank you for your patience!
kyle

You kilted a tree to make a surfboard???

You said entertaining, and it was! You’re stoked, quite an accomplishment, from tree to surfboard. I have built hws and I know the kind of work and tenacity they require. Not meant as an insult but as constructive criticism, I would say the shaping / glassing portion looks pretty crude to my eyes, I would get a bit more mastery of the process and finished product before I started posting process videos to the world, haha. Thanks for sharing! Glad to have you on swaylocks and hope you keep posting up your future projects.

Thank you for the support and for the advice! I definitely have a lot to learn about glassing, but while im just making them for me as a hobby, Im OK with it! If I ever make one to sell, I’ll get it professionally glassed!

The tree was growing in conjuction with two others that all inhibited each other’s growth. Taking this one was beneficial to the other two!

WOW well done , thanks for posting

Thank you very much!!

wow, you missed the point on that one.

I suggested that I myself would work on getting a bit more mastery of shaping and glassing before publishing “how to” videos, never mentioned or thought about hiring it out, something I have never done or recommended to any backyarder.

In other words, we all go through the learning curve, but when you publish a process video, people with no experience will look to it for suggestions and methods to copy. So, its always better to have a bit more mastery before putting your working methods out there, then you have something valid to share. I know this is contrary to the “selfie” generation, but its the way we did it old school.

I love it that you’re stoked on building your board, and like I say, its an accomplishment to be proud of. The “how to” shaping and glassing aspects of the video, not so much.

Keep at it, you will improve with each new board. Ask questions, pay attention to the great advice given here by real experts, use the archives, and develop your own methods over time. Then you will have an instructional process video worth watching, and even if your methods differ from the pros, they will be methods you have proven to produce great results.

Ooooooh that makes sense! Thanks for clearing that up!

The inertia doesnt care about the sublteties, apparently. They picked this story up quicker than the latest Taylor Steele flick. Apparently now everyone can make boards from trees they kilt themselves.
Apparently the Inertia also believes the rest of the materials for making surfboards come from Home Depot. Classic
but for what its worth, this dude did a pretty good job. He has some woodworking talent. Or more than me for sure.

I appreciate the compliment, I have a lot to learn. Its just fun for me to do this stuff, not a business or anything!

I take it the tree is now dead.

Great work. A true board builder!!! My alaskan saw mill is home made with a carbon fiber top plank. Finding fun creatures in the woods and taking things in a slightly different direction than you. Totally impressed with your tenacity and enjoyed the start to finish vid.
aloha

Thats incredible! Its so fun to just get out in nature and experience all of the beauty around us! Glad to meet a fellow miller on this site!

i like to think of it as “the tree is in a better place”

The tree may be dead, but it’s legacy lives on.

Cool project Kyle. More dedication than I have.
I took the video as a diary/documentary of a personal project.
It would be easy to eliminate the concerns about this being an “advice” video by changing the title:
“I Built a Surfboard from a Live Tree”

Cool! I like the ‘live’ edges! Why did you use ply instead of your tree for the internal structure?