Longboard center fin box install 2+1

Hello,

I’m doing one of my first boards, with a 2+1 fin system, and I’m not sure how to put the longboard 10.5 center box on the board.

I was wondering if you can help me with:

• When do I put the center box?

• How do I put it? (My box came with a top edge, which I will sand, and some foam stickers);

I post a picture with the material I have.

I read some topics here, there are several with information that I thought good, but I couldn’t reach a conclusion.

Thanks

I forgot to say,  the process I’m planning to do is, put the two side boxes directly into the foam, and the 10.5 center box after lamination (I’m not sure when). 

You pretty much answered your question. Put it in after the lamination. Some people do it that way and some do it before the lamination. There’s also a ton of posts about this procedure. Check the search bar at the top of the site. 

Hello Monkstar, 

I didn’t explain well, what I’m not sure is if I place it before or after the hot coat? In this case I will polish the board, so next to the hotcoat I will also give a gloss coat.

I will continue looking in archives about the process.

Thanks

After hotcoat.  A lot of guys sink the box into a layer of four ounce cloth.  I use milled 1/32 fiber with white pigment.  The foam strips are used to form a dam around the box so that excess resin doesn’t run all over the board.  I like to put a block of wood on the rack under the tail to level the tail.  Brush the resin slurry around inside the routed hole and then pour some into the hole.  The trick is pouring the right amount into the hole.  Better too much than too little.  If you don’t get enough resin slurry in the hole you will have voids around the box and edge of the hole.  Also a good idea to wipe the box with Acetone before sinking in the hole.  The Acetone etches the plastic forming a better bond

Hello McDing, thanks a lot! I’ll try to follow the tips.