longboards; modern or traditional rails

Again I am trying to decide on which. In the last 12-16" hard or soft rails ?

Some have said traditional rails noseride better. Why?

Can someone give insight on the benefits of each.

Thanks for your input. -matt

Quote:

Again I am trying to decide on which. In the last 12-16" hard or soft rails ?

Some have said traditional rails noseride better. Why?

Can someone give insight on the benefits of each.

Thanks for your input. -matt

I used to ride a traditional in contest and prior to longboarding even coming back into popularity. I then switched to a modern performance type longboard. I think there is nothing the traditional can do better than a modern longboard if the weight is right. I think really super light longboards don’t work for a variety of moves. Traditional heavy longboards with round or softer rails seem to noseride better for some because compared to modern longboards…they are slow and forgiving. You watch Colin on a modern he is smooth and does not miss much. It’s mostly the surfer. Beginers that are not as skilled have an easier time on flatter, rounder, and more forgiving traditionals. I think mostly it’s just preference. It’s hard to judge by others. Ride a few and see which you like the feel of. Traditionals are really expensive.

Quote:
Quote:

It’s mostly the surfer.

I agree. Learn to ride what you have to it’s capabilities.

really good thread on rail shapes awhile back…

http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=208892

check out the picture that drew posted…and envision how water flows over and under the apex of the rail in each of the diagrams

Depends mainly on fin selection (2 + 1 or single) and bottom contour at the tail.

there’s a really good article on traditional v. modern railshapes here:

http://www.tomwegenersurfboards.com/rails.htm

I think the answer to your question would be how you want the board to ride. If you want to surf it in a more progressive longboard style, a lower rail throughout the board would be the call. If you want to surf in a more traditional style, traditional rails. Along with the rail shape, board weight would come into play also. Glass it lighter if you want a progressive longboard, heavier for the traditional one. I once made a board where I made the rails just a bit lower than 50/50 then dropped it a little lower than 60/40 in the last foot and half. I had it glassed with a deck patch which added a little more weight than I’m used to on a longboard. The board ended up having a traditional feel with a little more punch in turns due to the slightly lower rails.

Quote:
Traditional heavy longboards with round or softer rails seem to noseride better for some because compared to modern longboards....they are slow and forgiving.

read the wegener article. a good noseride lets you perch in the pocket…which is 1 reason why a slow board works well for it, it wont outrun the wave.

50/50 rails are better for nose riding than turned down rails, this is because for a good nose ride you need water flowing over the tail of the board to help counterweight your body on the nose, turned down rails are designed to displace water from underneath the tail by shooting it out and away from the board, whereas 50/50 rails let the water come up and over giving you that counterweight for perching far longer on the nose.