Looking for Paulownia Balsa Agave Supplier in California USA

Hello all, new to this forum and look forward to sharing with you all. I’m an LA native and always looking to expand my knowledge in my two passions, JiuJitsu and Surfing. This year I started building hollow wooden surfboards in Brazil, under the guidance of master shaper David Weber (https://davidweber.com.br/br/ ) from Paulownia and other materials. After building my first board, I was hooked, and together with David we built another 8 boards for an exhibition in Florianopolis Brazil (i’ll include some pics below). 

Since returning to LA, I’ve been trying to find a good bulk supplier for Paulownia, Agave, and Balsa in California, or at this point anywhere in the contiguous 48 ! Anyone have any luck with finding a supplier, or can point me in the right direction, I’d be super grateful. In Need of a supplier ! I’m looking to buy in bulk quantities. 

Here’s a few pics of my first board and the process; the last pics are of some of the boards we made for the exhibition. 

Thanks ! 

** uploaded a bunch of pics before the error msg stating maximum of 5 per post… so had to limit to these; if anyone is interested in seeing more of the process, or other boards we made, give me a shout. Cheers !

[[{“fid”:“105211”,“view_mode”:“default”,“fields”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false},“type”:“media”,“field_deltas”:{“1”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false}},“link_text”:null,“attributes”:{“class”:“media-element file-default”,“data-delta”:“1”}}]][[{“fid”:“105212”,“view_mode”:“default”,“fields”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false},“type”:“media”,“field_deltas”:{“2”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false}},“link_text”:null,“attributes”:{“class”:“media-element file-default”,“data-delta”:“2”}}]][[{“fid”:“105213”,“view_mode”:“default”,“fields”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false},“type”:“media”,“field_deltas”:{“3”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false}},“link_text”:null,“attributes”:{“class”:“media-element file-default”,“data-delta”:“3”}}]][[{“fid”:“105214”,“view_mode”:“default”,“fields”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false},“type”:“media”,“field_deltas”:{“4”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false}},“link_text”:null,“attributes”:{“class”:“media-element file-default”,“data-delta”:“4”}}]][[{“fid”:“105215”,“view_mode”:“default”,“fields”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:“Surfboard Exhibit”,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false},“type”:“media”,“field_deltas”:{“5”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:“Surfboard Exhibit”,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false}},“link_text”:null,“attributes”:{“alt”:“Surfboard Exhibit”,“class”:“media-element file-default”,“data-delta”:“5”}}]]

I would start with Brad at http://www.tuckersurfsupply.com/

General veneer in la for balsa.  I don’t know of anyone who gets agave commercially, we just hunt and harvest.  Paulownia is very scarce on the west coast, but THH in San Diego has some 7-8’ boards size around 6” x1” if you have resaw abilities.  

Nice work.

You won’t have much luck finding Paulownia at affordable prices in CA .

I buy here.

www.worldpaulownia.com/paulownia-wood/ 

Well, I guess not, Unclegrumpy.  There must be a less expensive source or maybe the last Paulownia board I saw was underpriced.  Or maybe it was just a long time ago…

Asia is the best choice for expense and availability. The USDA has an application for free to get a permit to ship rough cut planks and barked logs. It is easy to apply for on line and is good for 4 or 5 years before easy online remewal required. Milled Paulownia does not necessarily need the USDA permit unless you are shipping a container load. Even with shipping the price for Hawaii residents is still more competitive from Asia versus the south texas and georgia suppliers. Living on the mainland you would have to do the math to see what’s best. It is not a special or rare species in asia and the price on the mainland reflects the slow popularity and growth of this cash crop that will become more common and avialbe over the next few decades in America. From plant to havest is 5 years in south texas. To grow in hawaii you need special permission becasue it is rated 97 out of 100 for invasiveness.

Freshy out ot the bag 2 days ago. Gaurd chicken Jimmie doing her thing.

Beautiful board!  The grain and color look exactly like the wood I had shipped from Georgia.  But what the heck is a Gourd chicken?

is that a chicken you intend to cook in a gourd?  What kind sauce?  Just kidding…

ps will be out at makaha first week of July, let’s get together with the Alama boys for surf n grinds?

There was a nursery in Bakersfield that grew Paulonia.  Can’t  remember the name and I think it has since changed owners.  I spoke to him once…  He had unmilled logs.  Found a name and number;  Outback Nursery (661) 589-5747

Jimmie is pissed. Not responsible for her actions towards you in July Keith.

Roughed out and post planed built out balsa rails. Using your bosch modified planer Keith. I am not hard on my tools ever but i am babying this planer you lent me. Very nice planer that I hope you will take back soon.

Guess I need stronger glasses, I thought it said gourd not guard.  Hey I spent a summer on a family farm with literally thousands of chickens (egg supply for a whole town in New England) so I’m not scared of Jimmie!  The planer is in the best possible hands and it’s a gift not a loan.  Buy me a beer or make me a template of your favorite board if you want.  Hey do you kiteboard?  New sport for me, quite the learning curve. But eventually I could kite from my house to yours!  Fun idea…

ps I think one rail is longer than the other in that last picture…

Yes Keith I dabbled in kite boarding in 2000-2005. Made uni directional type boards and sold a few until that style of board became obsolete. Never really enjoyed it but learned to to prove to myself I could do it. Winds at my house seldom ideal due to wind direction Me and my friend from alaska took one professional lession which was worth every penny especially for all the safety info for myself and toward the other kooks kiting in the water. Long story short, my waterdragging portion of the lession with no board went from fun to bad quick. first time flying kite, finding neutral, doing figure eights to generate power. body dragging out to sea and all is great until Huge gust, I am in the air 6- 10 feet, slammed to water surface, surfing shorts snap button with no tie, my shorts explode off and get dragged off my body, 1/2 mile off shore, body drag back to shore, get out of water naked from waste down, the wife, 2 kids laughing ass off and pointing. My instructor has me gound my kite and hands me a towel. Meanwhile my buddy from alaska has already moved to the board portion of the lesson and still has his surfing shorts on. 

For safety reasons side on shore winds are best for your side of island so you wont end up on kauai.

ps. Those are asym rails and the longer side is also channeled which is hand crafted with toe nail(not finger nail) clippers. Newest fad