...Lost Rocket

LOL …sharp, flat and pointy things just dont do it for me

Slash, what did you use to make those outlines? I would like to try shaping a 5'10" or 6'0" version of your #2 outline. Could you scale that up to 5'10" or 6'0" in length? My biggest challenge has been making really good templates, I downloaded akushaper to my pc, but I just can't seem to use it well enough to get what I want.

I don’t know how “new” you wanna consider these. If you look up the “Stoker V Machine” I’ve been shaping these for quite awhile along with some other guys and the concept is more Retro but very close. The Rocket is the modernized version of SVM. The shape is versatile and goes good in little slop to double overhead.

“Do you guys have the fin placement measurements for the Lost Rocket?  Im going to shape a 6’0” soon.  Thanks"

I heard that lost was moving the fin placement pretty far up on these then your normal setup.  Anybody pull the fin dimensions off a lost rocket ?

No, but up is good for quick release easy turn and slingshotting around on cutbacks…I have this approach on a stinger longboard but far more extreme. On a 9’1" with the stinger up 34"… the side fins are 19-1/4" up and the small trailing fin is 10-1/2"…all the fins are tiny working in conjunciton with concaves and razor sharp rails. The board flies, and holds in some big ass Nor Cal stuff. While other guys are thinking spin out, you’ll be thinking fast!

On a little board like this with a full planshape you could push the sides up 12-1/2" and group the rear fin tighter than usual…maybe 4-3/4"…play with it and maybe cluster the fin 3" to 31/2" apart from the leading edge of the rear to the trailing edge of the side fins. Or stick a box in for the rear so you can adjust the cluster: the tighter the cluster the looser the feel the wider the cluster the turn will draw out longer: think leverage. Even playing with pivot fins then going rakey will make this kinda shape do unreal things on any given day. Lotsa fun to be had here!

Awesome, thanks for the info deadshaper. 

Let’s see if this link for a stoker V works:

http://www.surfysurfy.net/search/label/Stoker#

Bingo! There you go…above all else, have fun.

P.S.

Silly…form follows function, facilitating fun… (alliteration intended).

Very nice

…and made in Goleta, sweet!

i did something similar which is still on the back burner (need to sand and finbox)…

I live in B.F.E. and don’t have a kinkos to print the pdf’s, but I saved them anyway.   So I got my butcher paper out and am going to do it the old fashion way and draw the outline with my benders and cut it out.  So the main questions I have to dail this in, and will be very grateful to have them answered, are from center where is that wide point at?  Also, what is the measurement on the diamnond tail?

Thanks guys, soon as I get those tidbits, I’ll whip out a template and cut it out and post some pics.

PS: I wonder how a bonzer setup would flow? :slight_smile:

Tyson

I used adobe Illustrator for the outlines.  Here are a 5’10” and 6’ scale up of the #2 above.  The third (5) is my next 5’8”.

here are links

http://www.thrustotica.com/outline03.pdf 

http://www.thrustotica.com/outline04.pdf

http://www.thrustotica.com/outline05.pdf[img_assist|nid=1044407|title=|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=555]

Still looking for the wide point from center and diamond tail measurement to do free hand template. 

Tyson…hey…saw your email and yes they’re in the mail!!

Posted on behalf of deadshaper; caption??

Here are #s from the #2 above (5’5”):
Wide point is .5 inch down from center and diamond is 1.6 inches.  Are you looking for a 5’5”?
[img_assist|nid=1044412|title=|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=507]
If you have a printer at home I can tile ½ and save the tiled pages in a pdf.

Regarding the Stoker V picture above:

This is Randall (Randy) Rostoker aka Stoker with a 7’6" I made him this year. The chief difference in planshape is slight parallel lines aft with slight hip and wider tailblock. More retro…rocker flat, V, V, V,blah blah blah…

Great thanks for that info.  Going to do the 65" one.  Glad I asked about the wide point, I wouldn’t have guessed it was back a half inch.  Would have moved it forward if anything.  I’ll get crackin, hopefully have some pics later.

Slashzilla,

Actually bro I just got a printer on clearance at walmart this weekend.  Tile print pages would be real nice!  If you happen to

get around to doing that my email is tysonwd@gmail.com

I ordered a rocket from Mike Daniel to b done in the coil tech.It should come out real good and should be done by july sometime.I like all the boards you guys are shaping.

Did anybody see the quad asymetrical board kelly was riding in the brazil contest?

Hey SC, that little shooter is moving through the factory. The outline template for your board is off something I've been using more and more over the last few years, but not always with the diamond tail on it. It's actually from a 1980 MTB shaped by (late, great) Bobby Strickland. Kinda funny that back then the board was called the "Rocket Pin". Double wing pintail twin fin, as ridden by Pat Mulhern back when he dominated the east coast pro circuit. For the new boards I just cut the tail off which moves the widepoint back and widens the tail. Modern rocker, rails, foil, and fin set-up, of course, but the outline's a classic.