Making a canard set from keels

Has anyone ever taken a set of keel fins, cut, and re foiled to a canard quad set? I’ve read the theory that it’s a similar template and base as keels but spererated. The reason I ask is that I can get a set of glass on keels for $27 and it seems easier and faster to just cut and refoil.

The only thing is the total base length of a canard quad set is around 8 inches so you better have a long base Keel if you plan on cutting it in half to get enough fin area for the canards. I have templates if you need

Hey thanks that’s good to know, mine have a 7.5" base. I might just make them from wood as I have some laying around. A template would be awesome if you don’t mind sharing

measurement along the base is base length, other is height.

Awesome thank you! Ill post some pics up

I often look online for used fins that I think I can reshape to avoid starting from scratch. Make sure you have enough thickness for the back fin’s leading edge. The original may be foiled too much to make the rears, or they may be thin fins once foiled. I like fins on the thicker side.

Where do you like to place these fins? I’m almost done foiling them. I’ve been searching for a while on canard placement and while I’ve learned a lot of great info I haven’t been able to find any specific placement numbers. They’re gonna go on a 5’10" modern fish that is yet to be shaped. Inspiration from this thread: http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/thee-modern-fish-thread

Reusing old fins is a great idea. Well I ended up not cutting the keels and using wood