Making board looser-Fin set up questions??

Had an AWESOME morning yesterday on my new fish. Some size actually rolled through and had a great time (the thing is sooooo freakin fast, I continue to make sections that there is no way I would make on my other boards).

Anyway, At times I really felt like I was in the groove and having a great time working the wave. What I did notice is that the board is very very stable, but I am thinking I want to loosen it up a bit.

I am running a probox system and my current set up is this shown in the 1st picture.

I just adjusted the rear fin almost 3/8" forward and the front fin about 3/8" so they are closer together now. Will that make enough difference? (btw, I am already running the 8 degree front and 6 degree rear cants).

The next step would be to put a traditional rear fin on the back that has more cutout and smaller in size, as seen in pict #2 the 4th set from the right (compared to the 2nd set from the left).

THOUGHTS???

We’ve just had same issues on an 8 1/2’ bulky gunnish longboard. First we cut out the rear fins, helped but not enouph, then we cut out front fins, that made it about right. Cut out the rear first to see how it goes.

Y’all got far too many fins on that thang. Water doesn’t know which way to turn. Lose most of 'em, you’ll be right.

hi rod !

great to hear and see a riding report !

i tried my quad with four gs sized side fins recently .

yep , looose alright !

how come lokbox , if i may ask ?? [aren’t you situated in oz ?? i wasn’t aware we could get them retail / ? wholesale? here yet ?!]

cheers

ben

Quote:

hi rod !

great to hear and see a riding report !

i tried my quad with four gs sized side fins recently .

yep , looose alright !

how come lokbox , if i may ask ?? [aren’t you situated in oz ?? i wasn’t aware we could get them retail / ? wholesale? here yet ?!]

cheers

ben

Ben,

I am in California and am running the Probox system (not lokbox). I think I will give the smaller fins a try.

Quote:

Anyway, At times I really felt like I was in the groove and having a great time working the wave. What I did notice is that the board is very very stable, but I am thinking I want to loosen it up a bit.

I am running a probox system and my current set up is this shown in the 1st picture.

I just adjusted the rear fin almost 3/8" forward and the front fin about 3/8" so they are closer together now. Will that make enough difference? (btw, I am already running the 8 degree front and 6 degree rear cants).

The next step would be to put a traditional rear fin on the back that has more cutout and smaller in size, as seen in pict #2 the 4th set from the right (compared to the 2nd set from the left).

THOUGHTS???

3/8" change in fore-aft spread is enormous.

Try 1/8" steps instead.

Quote:
Quote:

THOUGHTS???

3/8" change in fore-aft spread is enormous.

Try 1/8" steps instead.

Good point, I just wonder that to bring them closer together, I had to move the front further back, doesn’t that technically make it even more stable and less loose (while also giving it more drive and speed?). So it may not have that huge of an effect? Thats why I was thinking about going to the smaller fin in the rear??

Changing the fore-aft spread will have a larger effect than moving the cluster up, or back, together. If you move the whole cluster up 3/8" you will just stand 3/8" further forward.

Move the rear up 1/8" relative to the front. If it takes more than 1/4" before it is too far I would be surprised.

Quote:

Changing the fore-aft spread will have a larger effect than moving the cluster up, or back, together. If you move the whole cluster up 3/8" you will just stand 3/8" further forward.

Move the rear up 1/8" relative to the front. If it takes more than 1/4" before it is too far I would be surprised.

Hey thanks for the tip. I will try that 1st and not bother with the smaller rear fins unless these measures aren’t enough.

Aloha RodH:

If you wanted a looser setup you could also try a different version of the front fin with a cutaway coupled with a different back fin. I started out with the setup you have but then redesigned the front fin and coupled it with a different back fin to achieve what you are looking for, but without sacrificing drive.

Here is a photo that shows this setup that has proven to have the qualities you are looking for. This is now the setup that I use on my own boards and pretty much every quad that I sell uses this setup. The other nice thing about this arrangement is that it works well when the fins are switched, which I do in larger surf.

Hope this helps!

-Robin

Quote:

Aloha RodH:

If you wanted a looser setup you could also try a different version of the front fin with a cutaway coupled with a different back fin. I started out with the setup you have but then redesigned the front fin and coupled it with a different back fin to achieve what you are looking for, but without sacrificing drive.

Here is a photo that shows this setup that has proven to have the qualities you are looking for. This is now the setup that I use on my own boards and pretty much every quad that I sell uses this setup. The other nice thing about this arrangement is that it works well when the fins are switched, which I do in larger surf.

Hope this helps!

-Robin

Robin, I saw some of those fins on the probox site and was wondering about that as well. I wonder if Larry might have some of those rear fins in stock that I could try with the front fins I already have. The rear fins seem to have a lot less area.

You can probably get most of what Robin’s talking about by putting in the fins you have shown 4th from the left in the ‘fin quiver’ photo, in the back boxes. That will be looser, but the rake will maintain your drive. If it turns out to be not enough drive, or your waves go mushy, try the fins all the way to the right (the black ones), in the back boxes.

Either way, I think you have the correct ones in the front boxes.

That setup you have in the pic should be plenty loose, assuming all other fin setup factors are okay.

Rear foot placement is super important; do you know where your foot is in relation to the fin cluster? I would guess that your foot should be in the middle or over the rears for ease of manuv. Those wider tails also require some foot over the rail bias as well.

Having said that, dropping the rear fins size will likely be the easiest path for you…looks like you have a nice assortment to play with :slight_smile:

Aoha RodH:

I think there is good chance he has them in stock, if not I certainly have them here and can easily mail them too you.

But I agree with Benny that you should try the fins he mentioned from your quiver.

-Robin

brought the fins closer together and rode it today. I surfed a totally different break today (quicker take offs, not as good of shape/only a few turns before closing out, not bad for SoCal, but still not the surf I had on Sat). We only went out for just under an hour because all my buddies got “cold” the temp dropped big time, and they only had jackets. I left uppers today feeling like I had my tail between my legs, only a couple decent rides, no new impressions from the fin set up, and WALKING AWAY from decent shoulder high surf that we have hardly had at all this summer, all because it was “cold”. I am still a little bummed if you couldn’t tell.

I’ve found that running set ups with no inside foil to be quicker rail to rail. Fin foil makes the transition feel smoother though.

Right now I have G5 fronts and M5 rears.

If I’m surfing small waves with decent shape I’ll use bigger fronts and very small rears, releases off the top better.