making fins

first of all id like to thank all of you for sharing your knowledge. I cant think of any other industry in which trade secrets are shared so readily. but that is the key to progression! anyway, Ive got six boards under my belt, all modern shortboards that turned out better than i expected. now I am planning my next project, a Lis fish. my goal is to stay true to the original design right down to the keel shaped fins. however, making the fins is the one thing thats holding me back from making this board. I have no experience making fins, so if anybody could detail the steps involved with making a pair of these fins i would be stoked. what weight of cloth is used? how many layers? where could i find a template of the keel shape? how would I go about inlaying either cloth or bamboo? any info would be real helpful. thanks alot!

Loco, Sounds like a cool project. I’ve never made them before but I’m pretty sure that the fins on the Lis Fish are made from plywood. I’m sure you’ll get plenty of input on this one. Good luck and send photos! mike

Checkout the archives for more info,lots on this subject!Herb

Loco- Somewhere in the board archive>>>>Fins>>>#176? I posted some info and pics on making glass fins using SunCure resin, 5x7 Fish fins if you are into something other than plywood.(I posted these over the weekend so they may not be available on the “Boards” archive yet but a search should find them). Tom S.>>> Loco,>>> Sounds like a cool project. I’ve never made them before but I’m pretty > sure that the fins on the Lis Fish are made from plywood.>>> I’m sure you’ll get plenty of input on this one.>>> Good luck and send photos!>>> mike

(I posted these > over the weekend so they may not be available on the “Boards” > archive yet but a search should find them).>>> Tom S. Tom, I think that record is second in line. I like each new submission to be visible for a day. Mike

Magic man helped me a bunch. I have not made a whole bunch of fins, but I can tell you that making them out of plywood is much easier. I have a pic to post but I’m not sure how to post it without a URL. Mine came out looking pretty good. I used 9mm plywood and made some traditional fish fins. 7.25 base by 5" tall. The layers of the plywood were different colors, so it made sanding the foil a lot easier for me.

Send it to me , I can make a homepage and upload it to the web. Regards, Crabie

Mike, What’s the size of the file? I m afraid my ISP would skid those big file attachement, btw, I just received another attachement from my client giving me a 120kb jpg pics. Regards, Crabie