Marko vs us blank vs green light eps

Hey all,

So I promise I tried to search for this, but I’m new here and was not able to find the answer.

I’m trying to confirm whether or not the eps foam from marko foam and green light is the same as the us blank block cut, or the super fused eps?

From countless searches, I am assuming it is similar to the super fused, but I want to verify.

Also does have any of opinions on who makes a better eps blank?

Thanks!

Hi - If you are near Greenlight and want one of their EPS blanks you will get a good product. Their in-house blanks are rectangular cut from blocks. Marko and US Blanks mostly have blanks that are molded and have some of the deck curve/rail crown built-in. Theoretically the molded blanks might have tighter beads but in my experience once you get inside the outer shell, they’re all pretty similar among the various densities. I won a raffled US Blanks EPS blank at a Surfing Heritage Museum event and one guy in the crowd who looked at it insisted it was a Marko blank. I think that on request any of the three can custom cut a rectangular blank from scratch. Several US Blanks models are ‘sled cut’ (rectangular in cross section.) If you are hand shaping and don’t own an electric planer, I’d recommend one of the molded blanks from either US Blanks or Marko. Any of the three you’ve mentioned will be fine and I doubt I could tell the difference between foam samples of each. If “better” equals “easier”, go with the molded variety.

Hi John, thanks for the reply!!

I guess what I was more so trying to get at, was if the Marko And green light blanks were the same type of eps blanks you see in the us block cut blanks (very spaced out beads). Or are they more similar to the molded super fused eps blanks from us blanks (very tight and uniform)?

I’m mainly asking because I can get a block cut us blank very conveniently. But if the marko or green light blanks are like the superfused blanks. Then probably do that.

Thanks!

From my experience WNC (who I think makes Greenlight blanks) are very consistent. I have had quality issues with US blanks eps multiple times. THe issue is the finish of the blank, US blanks get fuzzy. THe WNC blanks finish out better. It’s a little thing, but makes a better quality product. I always get a slab cut, some of the preformed blanks won’t let you do the custom one off needed with a wider nose or tail.

My ten cents

My experience is somewhat limited but I’ve found that within specific density ranges, the EPS foams seem pretty similar (to my eyes) from brand to brand. If you can get a block cut US Blank very conveniently, I’d say just go with that. From what I’ve gathered, even the ‘super fused’ EPS will suck some water through a small ding with temperature (and pressure) changes. I try to be careful with any EPS boards and get them out of the water after dings. I don’t recall experiencing the shaping issues Jay (Resinhead) describes but it could very well be I wasn’t paying enough attention. He knows his stuff.

I shape one Marko, 3 molded us blanks and lot of local made industrial quality bloc. No real différences at same density. As John said all eps suck foam by pressures variation. For me it’s better to use cheaper foam and to put more money in good fiber and resin and to make a décent lam with all layers on rails where occured most dings. For my standard lam i have 21 oz of glass on rails for shortbords on 1.9 lb eps. Up to 40oz for bigger gun. No more problem of water intake.

Thanks for the response resinhead, I’m in San Diego and so is wnc (Which I found out about thanks to you). I’m gonna hopefully go check out there blanks this week, which should be much more convenient.

If they are the same as green light, it would have been amusing (in a sad way) to have had wnc ship a blank to them and then right back to San Diego to me.

Thanks!

Thank you John and lemat. I appreciate your guys input! It’s going to be my first time at this whole shaping thing, so I’m trying to make sure I buy the right stuff. Although I’m sure my time is better spent just getting my hands dirty and getting these first few disasters out of the way lol.

Thanks!

If you are in San Diego you have several great resources you might tap including Resinhead, Stingray, and others. You also have multiple sources for top-grade surfboard specific materials. Since you are relatively new to it, I recommend you get one of the molded blanks if you can find one that approximates your finished design. It will be easier to get the rails contoured and there will be less waste.

Greenlight cuts their blanks in house from blocks of foam.