Materials

Hi all, i am currently making my first surf board and really enjoying it. I am already planning my next board but feel like i need a better foam.

Question is, where are folks in England getting foam and what grade of EPS are you using, i used 70 for my first but think a more dense foam would be better next

Any advice on suppliers and foam spec much apperciated.

I am using the ‘150’ EPS product from the attached sheet which is about 2x as dense as the local home improvement store offerings. I drove a trailer 4 hours round trip to get a big bock directly from the manufacturer.

I see that Seabase EU is offering special order US Blanks in 1.7 and 2.0 PCF EPS ‘superfused’.

My location is not coastal in the US so typcially I am ‘mail ordering’ (online) for surfboard grade epoxy resin and cloth. I can get sundries at a local composite shop (shears, squeegees, sanding disks, vacuum bagging materials). I would avoid buying random cloth online, the treatment type and defect level -as to whether or not it is good enough to be used or seen on a surfboard - is more suspect the cheaper the price is offered. Better epoxies are nicer to use too.

Short answer;  Seabase UK.  Beware of cloth advertised.  Very often it is Generic Chinese or Korean.  They will do the job, but don’t think you’re getting one of the major manufacturers of Surfboard Fiberglass Cloth such as BGF Aerialite, JPS or Hexcel.  If an online supply house doesn’t name the brand or manufacturer of the cloth it’s because they don’t want you to know and are embarrassed to tell you they are selling an inferior product.

thanks for the response, appreciated