Matt/Mattew Weaver

Hello. I’m not sure if you are the same person or not, but it seems you both(?) have simiar views on the art of surfing and surfboard design. I enjoy your posts, and also have the same interests in sliding waves as you seem to. Anyhow, I was wondering if you can answer a question for me. Awhile back one of you mentioned that you glass your longboards and shortboards with volan. I am wondering why? Is it for the extra strength and the nice way volan seems to spider web rather than ding badly? Also, do you like the extra heft volan provides? Most people want a light shortboard but for the subtle side of surfing style(example; Joel or Gerry), it seems the weight may help rather than hinder. What do you think?

Hello. I’m not sure if you are the same person or not, but it seems you > both(?) have simiar views on the art of surfing and surfboard design. I > enjoy your posts, and also have the same interests in sliding waves as you > seem to. Anyhow, I was wondering if you can answer a question for me. > Awhile back one of you mentioned that you glass your longboards and > shortboards with volan. I am wondering why? Is it for the extra strength > and the nice way volan seems to spider web rather than ding badly? Also, > do you like the extra heft volan provides? Most people want a light > shortboard but for the subtle side of surfing style(example; Joel or > Gerry), it seems the weight may help rather than hinder. What do you > think? I am not sure if I am the Matt you are referring to, but I just so happen to ride boards,long and short(read that 7’-7’8")that are glassed exclusively with volan.One reason is that it lasts longer, will dent instead of crack or spider, and requires less resin to bond with thus allowing for more flex in the board.Longboards are glased double 8oz.with perhaps a deck patch.Shortboards are glassed single 6 oz. bottom and double 6oz. top.All are sanded finish only.The shortboards sound like they might be glassed heavy but in reality are surprisingly light and flexible.

I am not sure if I am the Matt you are referring to, but I just so happen > to ride boards,long and short(read that 7’-7’8")that are glassed > exclusively with volan.One reason is that it lasts longer, will dent > instead of crack or spider, and requires less resin to bond with thus > allowing for more flex in the board.Longboards are glased double 8oz.with > perhaps a deck patch.Shortboards are glassed single 6 oz. bottom and > double 6oz. top.All are sanded finish only.The shortboards sound like they > might be glassed heavy but in reality are surprisingly light and flexible. Thanks Matt. Flat weave 6 oz (Is Liddle your shaper for the 7’-7’8’s and/or do you shape your own boards?)? Do you not gloss your logs? If not, why? Thanks man- miles

Thanks Matt. Flat weave 6 oz (Is Liddle your shaper for the 7’-7’8’s > and/or do you shape your own boards?)? Do you not gloss your logs? If not, > why? Thanks man- miles yeah-Greg, Paul Gross and myself.Not sure why I don’t gloss my longboards-just habit not to I guess.keep it smooth!

yeah-Greg, Paul Gross and myself.Not sure why I don’t gloss my > longboards-just habit not to I guess.keep it smooth! One more thing Matt. Could you give me some insight on shaping blady, 50/50 rails on a my log? I believe they were utilized in the late 60’s, and the 9’6 I surf now is pretty thinly foiled, with these blady rails. It’s a Weber template shaped for me by a good shaper, it noserides very well and is conducive to smooth turns even with the 7" squaretail and big fin. Anyhow, I believe these rails are functional for what I want to do on my longboard. I am shaping myself another log soon but am not sure how to turn the rails this way. Any advice you can offer is apprectiated bro!

One more thing Matt. Could you give me some insight on shaping blady, > 50/50 rails on a my log? I believe they were utilized in the late 60’s, > and the 9’6 I surf now is pretty thinly foiled, with these blady rails. > It’s a Weber template shaped for me by a good shaper, it noserides very > well and is conducive to smooth turns even with the 7" squaretail and > big fin. Anyhow, I believe these rails are functional for what I want to > do on my longboard. I am shaping myself another log soon but am not sure > how to turn the rails this way. Any advice you can offer is apprectiated > bro! Miles: out of curiousity, who shaped your board(just wondering if it’s a friend of mine).I’ll get back tou you on the rails as it will take energy I don’t have right now to explain the process.Later.

Hey Matt, Carl Olson shaped the board. Thanks for your response- miles