McCoy

Ok, here’s one that I hope will generate some real positive things for shapers and surfers alike. I think that there’s alot of worthwhile info on the McCoy site. Geoff has his own philosophy as we all do. I’ll just like put it out there that his is interesting and hope to hear a few comments on the approach to surfboards why we surf the types of arrows we do. Oh, by the way I’ve never ridden one of his boards Is there anyone out there that has? I came across the site last night and was surprized to see the 8’0" there very close to a board that I surf regularly in smaller waves as a single, thruster, or twin depending on the conditions. A wide tail does give you more versitility I found. http://www.mccoysurfboards.com/ Good Surfin’ Rich

Rich, Everything is pro driven. If Kelly Slater goes thinner/narrower most persons follow. The magazines also create an image on how we are supposed to surf, and what is cool to ride. How many times I’ve seen boards in the mags and thought, “Wow! What a cool board”, only to realize I was looking at the airbrushing not the actual shape. By expermenting and asking alot of questions, you will find what you are looking for. I did. SteveA

Rich, Everything is pro driven. If Kelly Slater goes thinner/narrower most > persons follow. The magazines also create an image on how we are supposed > to surf, and what is cool to ride. How many times I’ve seen boards in the > mags and thought, “Wow! What a cool board”, only to realize I > was looking at the airbrushing not the actual shape. By expermenting and > asking alot of questions, you will find what you are looking for. I did. > SteveA While Cheyne Horan was never World Champion he was on top of his game enough to impress public opinion. And, I still never thought those Lazer Zap boards looked bitch’n. Interesting, but not anything I wanted to buy.

While Cheyne Horan was never World Champion he was on top of his game > enough to impress public opinion. And, I still never thought those Lazer > Zap boards looked bitch’n. Interesting, but not anything I wanted to buy. Steve & Tom, My question is not really directed toward what sells. It’s directed toward wave performance issues. Thanks for your input, Good Surfin’ Rich

Ok, here’s one that I hope will generate some real positive things for > shapers and surfers alike. I think that there’s alot of worthwhile info on > the McCoy site. Geoff has his own philosophy as we all do. I’ll just like > put it out there that his is interesting and hope to hear a few comments > on the approach to surfboards why we surf the types of arrows we do. Oh, > by the way I’ve never ridden one of his boards Is there anyone out there > that has? I came across the site last night and was surprized to see the > 8’0" there very close to a board that I surf regularly in smaller > waves as a single, thruster, or twin depending on the conditions. A wide > tail does give you more versitility I found.>>> http://www.mccoysurfboards.com/>>> Good Surfin’ Rich The reason I started shapin my own boards was because there wasnt anything out there that fit what I wanted to ride. Luckily my first shape was good enough to keep me inspired to shape another and another…I dont really care what others think of my shapes, I dont follow trends, if something comes along that looks valid to me, I’ll try incorporating that into my designs. I’m really stoked to be part of this community in which knowledge is shared so unselfishly. I think those of us who can shape their own equipment are blessed.

As with any shape, it’s up to the individual. Those wide tail boards have their place which is usually in slower waves. Quick, steep drops are a little tough sometimes as the tail wants to plane a little too efficiently. I put a little more tail rocker in those boards if they’re on the longer side so they’re a little more controlable when it starts to get steep. On the shorter ones swallows seem to be a bit more positive. All shapes are worthy of a try. You may end up liking something totally off the wall. aloha

Cheyne rides a 5’9" roundtail board shaped by McCoy. It’s wide point is about 20 1/2" and is located behind center , tail is about 16 3/4" to 17". I’ve seen him ride this board from 1’ to double overhead, from blown out junk to very hollow reef break barrels. Thickness is about 2 3/4" and is carried thru out the tail as much as possible. McCoy use’s Australian Blanks that are considerally thicker than what is available from Clark. He also use’s straps on this board which give’s him much more leverage in his turns. sk

Cheyne rides a 5’9" roundtail board shaped by McCoy. > It’s wide point is about 20 1/2" and is located behind center , tail > is about 16 3/4" to 17". I’ve seen him ride this board from 1’ > to double overhead, from blown out junk to very hollow reef break barrels. > Thickness is about 2 3/4" and is carried thru out the tail as much as > possible. McCoy use’s Australian Blanks that are considerally thicker than > what is available from Clark. He also use’s straps on this board which > give’s him much more leverage in his turns. sk This is what Cheyen rides now??