McTavish - Morey Pope Flex Tail ...Pictures

7 oz volan will be fine…especially if you are already holding a roll of > it!>>> The advantages of 4 oz is that the flex is a little more > “steel-like,” and it can be tuned with a little bit more > precision. Also, 4 oz fins last a bit longer before “flexing > out.” The truth is 95% of the fins Greg Liddle and George Greenough > have made over the years are out of 6 or 7 oz…cost being a major > consideration. It takes 70 layers to build up a 1/2" thick panel out > of 4 oz.!>>> I would love to lay up a few 4 oz panels and make some high-end flex fins > out of George’s and Greg’s and my own templates, but they would end up > being very expensive, and I can’t imagine there would be much interest out > there for them.>>> Can’t wait to see the McTavish flex tail when it’s fully restored. I > remember the day they brought it into the MP retail facility, unsanded and > untuned. There were also a batch unglassed shaped McTavish blanks and a > few of his finished boards as well. Like being in a candy store! Paul i knew i would get a better flex with 4 oz but i have so much 7 volan. It’s funny you remember this board. Was the bottom painted red with the sanded finish deck when it was sold?? I see that the tail wasn’t finished on the top the fill or the base wasn’t sanded. where the tail was shape was completed after the bottom was glassed. It looks as if the bottom had three layer’s of 7 oz. one full, one 2/3 from the tail and the last 1/3??? Then Bob finished shaping the tail. followed by two 7’s on the deck. i’m going to be sanding it out tomorrow and fixing all the little dings. Thanks for the inside on the fin… The board is more for show then go now so i think a red 7 oz will work. I am looking forward to riding once… then on the wall to Awwwwwwwww at. Rob

Paul i knew i would get a better flex with 4 oz but i have so much 7 > volan. It’s funny you remember this board. Was the bottom painted red with > the sanded finish deck when it was sold?? I see that the tail wasn’t > finished on the top the fill or the base wasn’t sanded. where the tail was > shape was completed after the bottom was glassed. It looks as if the > bottom had three layer’s of 7 oz. one full, one 2/3 from the tail and the > last 1/3??? Then Bob finished shaping the tail. followed by two 7’s on the > deck. i’m going to be sanding it out tomorrow and fixing all the little > dings. Thanks for the inside on the fin… The board is more for show then > go now so i think a red 7 oz will work. I am looking forward to riding > once… then on the wall to Awwwwwwwww at. Rob The board was clear, hot coated, and unsanded at the time it came into the shop, and I believe it was sold in that condition to Ross Cave, and very talented surfer from the area. Your presumed glassing scheme is correct. Your 7 oz cloth will be fine. I would used a 55 layer panel out of 7 oz cloth, if you want to get the correct 1/2" thickness in the base. But, that’s not realy critical for a wall hanger. By the way, that outline was REALLY radical in 1970, as you know. It forshadowed the thruster by over 10 years.

The board was clear, hot coated, and unsanded at the time it came into the > shop, and I believe it was sold in that condition to Ross Cave, and very > talented surfer from the area. Your presumed glassing scheme is correct. > Your 7 oz cloth will be fine. I would used a 55 layer panel out of 7 oz > cloth, if you want to get the correct 1/2" thickness in the base. > But, that’s not realy critical for a wall hanger.>>> By the way, that outline was REALLY radical in 1970, as you know. It > forshadowed the thruster by over 10 years. Hey Paul do you know if Ross is still surfing and how to find him??? I would like to get ahold of him… I have a friend who is a single fin FREAK!!! and he want’s me to shape him a board with that outline. Off to work later…

Hey Paul do you know if Ross is still surfing and how to find him??? I > would like to get ahold of him… I have a friend who is a single fin > FREAK!!! and he want’s me to shape him a board with that outline. Off to > work later… I’ll ask around about Ross…