Media on Clark Closure

I mentioned in another thread that the general journalism medias have gone off half cocked on this story and are portraying Clark Foam as some sort of gross polluter who deserved to close - based on their ignorant quick read of his explanatory letter. I mentioned also that the media is seeking out “interesting” people to comment on record. On Wednesday in the L.A. Times it was Dick Baker of OP, a SIMA leader.

How many boards does OP make? See where this is going?

In the Thursday Los Angeles Times business section was an article called “Production of Surfboards Overseas Expected to Swell” (swell…get it?). The first person interviewed was one Isabelle “Izzy” Tihanyl, “co-owner of Surf Diva, Inc.” She declared that custom shaping in California “…is really a luxury of the past, unfortunately.” The article goes on to mention Surf Diva expects their first shipment of epoxy boards from Thailand to arrive in January.

Quick customer order filling or was this already in the pipeline (Pipeline…get it?)?

“Surftech now offically owns the marketplace as far as I’m concerned. said Dave Hollander, co-owner of Becker Surf and Sport, a Hermosa Beach-based surf shop operator that recently struck a deal to sell Surftech boards online.”

The article quotes a Jack’s Surfboards salesman as saying that people are buying boards “…like five, seven at a time.” Killer Dana surf shop is reported as limiting boards sales to one each.

My favorite paragraph:

"Surfboard sales - which amounted to $22 million in the U.S. in 2003 - are a small part of revenue in the surf industry. But they are a pivotal part of the retail market because surfers use and promote a number of products including board shorts, T-shirts and sunglasses, said Marie Case, managing director of Board-Trac, a market research firm in Trabuco Canyon.

I think five years from now we’ll have more surfers because of the demographic swell coming up. Then you have the old guys - in their 40s, 50s, and 60s - who are still in the water," she said, “So there’s potentially a lot of money there from these guys buying boards every year.”

Maybe this commotion seems minor to some people outside the U.S., but it is a HUGE story here. While those in the manufacturing business on any level have to scramble right now, let me point out that this climate leaves the exisitng surf life really vulnerable to attack. Surfing itself is never threatened, as the sheer numbers of people in developed countries isn’t going down, but the “free and easy” lifestyle is potentially in the crosshairs. Swaylock’s is chock full of freethinkers of all ages. Earlier in that other post I mentioned that this situation could be turned into an opportunity to eliminate or restrict domestic production of surfboards for “environmental reasons” while allowing import profit possibilities to multiply. Who is to say unsettled times like this couldn’t also be turned into opportunity to do things like force that freeway through San Onofre State Park, or slide other governmental fun-paks like increased parking fees for restricted access into the mix. How about since surfboards are such pollution generators we tax the crap out of them domestically and then massage our collective guilt by also slapping taxes on imported boards so we don’t have to feel bad about exporting the jobs and dirty tech?

Quote:

My favorite paragraph:

"Surfboard sales - which amounted to $22 million in the U.S. in 2003 - are a small part of revenue in the surf industry. But they are a pivotal part of the retail market because surfers use and promote a number of products including board shorts, T-shirts and sunglasses, said Marie Case, managing director of Board-Trac, a market research firm in Trabuco Canyon.

Somebody’s numbers in the media just don’t add up.

$22 million of surfboard sales @ say an average of $450 per board gives about 50,000 boards per year. Now, how does that square with Clark producing 700-1000 blanks a day? It seems someone is a few hundred thousand boards off the mark. Just my 2 cents, no pun intended.

That $22 million is reported sales. Who knows the number of unreported surboard sales? Then there’s the blanks exported to Europe and elsewhere to be built and sold. I think you can still get to the 360,000 # of blanks built by Clark with those numbers.

The Wall St. Journal had an article I read earlier but do not have the link - someone may have already referenced it in the multiple threads on the subject

More Clark Foam stuff in the news: http://www.compositesnews.com/cni.asp?articleID=9963

9:00 am FRi, EST CNN’s Headline News just reported the Clark Closure. While showing video of Boogie boarders. It’s obvious without a informed spokesman the info is not going to flow. Not that it really matters but the last thing that surfboard builders need is a bad rap as polluters. Can’t the media find someone that has the right info. A backlash is the last thing we all need. It’s time to unite >>

What I find so typical of the stigma that pervades the industry it that there is not one mention of EPS as an alternative in any of the media. Or USA companies like Aviso or Kolstof.

Guys like Harbor quoted as saying “PVC”. What!? Not the faintest clue about composites.

But this ( http://surfermag.com/features/lighttunnelclark/ )article strikes me as the most ironic. The magazine that has been with us for ever. Does not mention EPS, or construction like Bert is doing, or Aviso. They paint a picture of how everyone is scrambling to find sources for the same old foam so they can continue the same old process.

A mention of XPS, a foam that most that have walked the line beyond Clark have decided is not as good as EPS.

The reason I’ve not subscribed or read the surfer mags in many years.

My new favorite, from Thursday morning Los Angeles television…“New materials like Kevlar”…I guess that would take care or any lightness issues…

There is a story online at LA Weekly that has some moments:

http://www.laweekly.com/ink/06/04/news-marcus.php

The fact that the mainstream media still says “cowabunga” through half of most surf stories says a lot about their perception of surfing.

GOOD.

They can keep it that way. Stay out of it.

They should focus on football, baseball, and surfing, something most grown men participate in (yeah right).

Geeeesh!

From that L.A. Weekly article by Ben Marcus…

Quote:

David Puu is a Ventura County surf photographer who sees an upside to the current turmoil. “Grubby decided to go out of the industry at the single most beneficial moment for surfing since the company was founded. That is what just happened. You miss this fact and you have missed the story,” Puu said. “The infrastructure is there to fill that vacuum. Not overnight, but soon. Months

Quote:

And he has a point. Clark timed his exit dramatically, but the effect is that blank production may return to the custom, cottage industry it was when Grubby and others began formulating blanks in the late ’50s. There are rumors that two major suppliers of surfboards — Rusty and Lost — had switched to less-toxic but harder-to-produce epoxy blanks two weeks before Clark’s announcement. Surftech, a major supplier of sandwich epoxy boards made in Thailand, is already producing thousands of boards in over a hundred flavors and is at full capacity. And there are plenty of other small manufacturers working with epoxy and carbon-fiber composites — like XTR, Aviso, Salomon S, M10 — who will rush to fill the vacuum now that Clark’s stranglehold on blanks seems to be disappearing

For those who don’t know of Pu’u, he owned a couple of shops and shaped maybe tens of thousands of boards before closing up for a career change. Within a year he was having some most soulful and artistic surf photos published in all the major magazines. Interesting perspective.

Quote:
Guys like Harbor quoted as saying “PVC”. What!? Not the faintest clue about composites.

Are you claiming Harbour has no clue about composites? Ridiculous. He’s done it all in the past and in addition to the tests reported here about a year ago, Rich and Tim are trying eps/epoxy again in fact (before the Clark news went down).

Here’s his report, as posted on his website:“We asked some people who are supposed to be experts in the field of EPS/epoxy boards what weight of foam and what glass schedule to use. Tim shaped a 2 lb. EPS about 2 weeks ago. We had it glassed by them. This board just came back yesterday. It was laminated, and hot coated but needed the center fin box and it needed sanding. It had a PVC stringer that blew out when Tim routed the box hole. The board is too light, about 11 lbs. and not nearly as strong as a Clark super blue. It has too much spring. We REALLY want to like this stuff but time and again, some “expert” fails to get us going correctly. Today I ordered three 3 lb. foam blanks with wood stringers. We will try again!”

I think the comment might have been referring to the media not having a clue about composites. The journalist probably picked up on the most recognizable term he heard “PVC” and quoted in, when Harbor was most likely talking about its use as stringer material in epoxy foam. With all the acronyms and technology involved in new materials, someone from outside, a journalist, would be confused enough to mix up what he heard and latch on to the most familiar, everyday terms. Just my thoughts. GO EPS!!