Milwaukee Sander - Troubleshooting

I have a classic Milwaukee Sander, one of the 6000 models, and it is beginning to get very luggy when starting up and sometimes I need to try a couple of time to get it going.  It’s been through dozens of boards, not hundreds.  I blow it out after every use.  Is this thing just getting long-in-the-tooth and nearing it’s EOL or are there brushes that need to be replaced, like planer motor brushes?

Thanks.

Brushes

Thanks!  Saved me some bread!

My Milwaukee trigger switch was impacted with dust once, and had very poor low speed control.

Was fairly simple to clean it out and return full function.

Had a few power cord issues too, but sorted those out too.

No issues with the brushes and when new, in mid 1990’s was used in a factory by others than myself, meaning they give not one S#it about the tool.

Caig DeOXit D series products are magic electric juice for electrical contacts.  Good stuff to have around

Hold the trigger and whack it with your other hand.  Does that change the RPMs?  If so, likely brushes.  If not but ‘wiggling’ the plug does, and you’re always plugged in to the same outlet, consider a new plug or power outlet.  I’ve also heard of plenty of issues with variable speed controller dial getting grungy and needing replacement.

Bottom line?  I don’t think they make Milwaukee tools like they used to.  They used to be solid metal housings and were built like tanks.  Now they’re made in Mexico out of plastic and generally just not the same… I’m pretty sure each time the ownership changed hands, the new bosses tried to cut corners to maximize profitability.

Ownership history (From Wikipedia):

1924: The Milwaukee Electric Tool Corporation was established by A. F. Siebert in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

1975: Sold to Amstar.[1]

1986: Sold to Merrill Lynch.

1995: Sold to Atlas Copco.[2][3]

2005: Sold to Techtronic Industries.[4]

Mr Mellor, as in most artisanal craft products these days, there is far more technology involved which makes the engineering far superior to the tools of the past. The users’ dollars go towards them rather than fit and finish. The tools today are almost sci-fi versions of their forebearers. The plastic cases don’t hold up as well but in construction they ended up being a boon to the user. I can remember when all tools were made of metal were bulletproof, particularly Milwaukee tools. They also were twice as heavy and got hotter than shite in the sun. Working the tracts in triple digits, you remembered to cover the handle of your Skilsaw after leaving it out to bake in the bright sunlight. And it didn’t take long to heat up. All things are more “cheaply” made but so much better in design and use. A brand new Sawsall kicks ass on my all steel dinosaur. The “steely” is still around, but takes twice the time to make the cut. As the old addage goes: “Time is money”.

Brushes, common with a Milwaukee.  I have owned several.  John is right.  If you can tap it or turn it from side to side(horizontal to vertical) and it makes random contact; It most certainly is the brushes. From there you go to the On/Off switch and the speed control and or power cord.  9 times out of 10; Brushes.  Lowel

I hate working on these, very tedious and messy.  If you’ve only been sanding and not polishing, it’s usually dust.  If you’re polishing, then it’s probably clogged up with fuzz from the bonnet also.  The dust gets inside the switch and speed control and gums up the hot contacts. The fuzz gets impacted around the fan and slows the motor. The only real way to bring these back to life is replace the brushes, speed control, and switch.  You’ll have to tear it down (not the gearbox) and clean everything out. You’ll likely need one or both of the motor bearings (front one is no fun).  You can download a parts diagram from Milwaukee to order the parts and this also shows how everything goes together.  Also download the wire routing diagram as this is critical.  I generally wire a new cord directly to the switch and get rid of that detachable one.  The plastic housings can be washed in detergent and water, use a toothbrush to clean out the nooks and crannies.

The switch + speed control runs about $80, brushes $15, bearings another $20.  It adds up but still far less than a new one.  Milwaukee’s work so well due to their weight (like a Skil).  So keep this in mind if you decide to replace it.  Bosch, Makita, and others make really good disk sanders but they’ll all lighter.  On reliability, the newer motors are far better than the old ones.  They’ve never really changed the gearbox and that’s why it’s so heavy.  The switch and that speed control are crap and matched to each other.  I’ve had bad speed control modules right out of the factory bag. 

Good head’s up.  I found a new one for $209 (model 6078 I think).  If the brush replacement and light cleaning out of the housing doesn’t resolve the sluggishness I might just spring for a new one and make this older one a winter project for the basement shop.

The switch + speed control runs about $80, brushes $15, bearings another $20.  It adds up but still far less than a new one. 

My favorite the last few years has been the Makita.  Soft start and lighter weight equals more control.  My hotcoats have generally gotten better over the years so I don’t need the weight for heavier sanding.  I start with a finer grit and get it done quicker.  It’s been my experience that the Makita goes longer between service and repair.  I also finally broke down and bought a Porter Cable Random Orbital.  I work it into the mix to make sure my “Swirls” are gone and use it on Gloss coats.   Gonna see how good I get with Reichold.  I bought Gloss Resin for a couple of guys on a trip this last year.  Then they decided they didn’t want it.  So gotta use it up.  Surfers.   Lowel