Mini Simmons

[quote=“$1”]

please tell me what you think of this:

Thats exactly the dims of my first, measured 6’8" on the bottom. I ran a slight hull for 24 inches, then dead flat out to the tail corners with a 8 inch wide by 18 inch long concave between the fins. It has a scooped nose that I inserted a stringer in for 36 inches counting on the thickness of the S deck to keep the board in once piece.

Up here, we can’t get away with such small dims as 5’6", our conditions dictate much longer paddles as well as the back and forth in the line up. I don’t have to duck dive mine very often, thats what channels are for :slight_smile:

I have a new one shaped thats a bit wider throughout at 24 and 2 inches shorter, I am glassing it tonight.

The afoaf mini, the fins are not on the corners so I would be kind of curious how that works. I place the fins 2 inches up and 1 1/4 inch in, 10 degree toe tops. I also foiled the fins like a wing, bump in the front, thin in the back, 5" tall, 10" bases.

I have read that most of Simmons’ attention was to the bottom and the rails. I know I like mine so much that I started shaping a new one before the old one sold!

Here is my blog post and pics of the board…

Let´s see:

The bottom of this board must be a little bit “round” near the rails, on the front until the middle.

From the middle to the back, it must be concave or flat until the end;

(1/2 inch???)

The rails: how are they in the front, middle and the back??

I usually see some boards like these, having on the front deck a little bit concave… why?

With or without stringer?? By our choice???

Last one: 6 + 4 oz on the deck and 6 oz on the bottom to a 6´4”??

My rails are bladed, about a dime size radius, all the way down at the tail with the foil staying there until 24" from the nose where they roll up onto the nose. My first was a slight hull and it had the concave in the tail. Simmons didn’t always put in a concave, he said that the area already had lower pressure and lift. My next one does not have it. The spooned out nose is for the rail to roll up on, I have seen them with flatter spoons and deep spoons, my first was pretty deep onto the S deck.

“He moved a small fin to each outboard
rail at the end and towed them in to 10º. This is because the water is
moving the fastest at these points as it leaves the hull.”

“A very few of his boards had concave
bottoms. Simmons said he did this to get air into them briefly,
reducing the suction. The center of the hull has a low pressure flow
down the center area anyway. He reduced it even more with a concave.
But his concentration was focused on what was happening out on the rail.”

Don’t know if it’s of any use but found this free template on the net.

http://boardside.com/images/mini_simmons_template.pdf

well… if it is “free”, it´s why is in the net

but I don´t see the rocker neither the size…

(but it´s already a great help, for this beginning…)

luis, I’m in the same boat so to speak on the rocker numbers. I’ve got 50+ pictures of different mini sims on my computer along with lots of notes. Dimensions vary…

Jeff McCallum Mini-Simmons Model
Length 5’6
Width 22
Thickness 3 1/4
Tail 19
Nose 19 1/2

Joe Bauguess Mini-Simmons Casper
Length 5’8
Width 23
Thickness 3
Tail 19
Nose ?

As for rocker, still up in the air for me too. ??

[img_assist|nid=1041239|title=rocker?|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=191]But I’m considering scaling down from one of my favorite 6’4" boards which should come out to around 4" nose and just over 1" tail. At least I’ll have a rocker that’s familiar. Still fuzzy about how to factor in the bottom shape.

Zero tail rocker is what I think works as far as how these boards plane out.

The other issue you may run in to is the board needs to be shaped from a larger blank, I use a 9’4" for the 6’6" to achieve the zero tail rocker.

It also needs the larger blank for the S deck profle, you need the S deck to get the foil Simmons was using on the rails.

As to the pricey mini’s out there, whoo…

I don’t think any of these designs are dead set in stone, I adapted mine for the local conditions up here, cold, fickle and sharkey…

This topic is becoming “BIG” to me !!

and this one:

I’d surf that board!

some changes in the outline and the rocker:

the last one:

Does anyone knows where can I find some movies on the Youtube, or other about these boards??

try RK’s blog

http://hydrodynamica.blogspot.com/

How about that one :

FINE ! does she´s work?, did anyone made it and like it?

thoughts on this one?

TCHARAMMMMMM:

http://theswiftmovement.blogspot.com/

Haven’t tried it, it’s just a template I made on the computer but if I had to shape one for myself, it would be certainly be very similar to this one.

I now have been watching some movies on the net.

I´ve seen the speed they achieve and the kind of manouevre they make; I don´t believe that it will be easy for me, because these boards are “small” preventing me to paddle easily and the miss of stability that a longboard has.

This concept is to be ride like this, but as I have a Kneeboard, (6´0" x 22") when i tried to surf with her, was very dificult to catch the waves and in 2 hours I only caught ONE wave standing up and the others were in knee position (with no fins, of course…).

Is it the same kind of board or does she is more “confortable”?