Modern Fibers in Surfboard Laminates (Cerex and Others)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ATktVym_NeI

Almost Mike.  Without Chuck Burns this thread wouldn’t be here.

I’m looking at getting some cerex, and the supplier has indicated i have a choice of plain cerex, PBN or orion. 

Whats the advantages/disadvantages of each? I think it was the PBN one sounds like it might drape and wrap better than plain cerex?? 

Have you tried orion and PBX mark?

My reply is a little off track, but I just read about Nick (sdrepairman).  Pirate Ageda, if you make a donation to Nick’s fund, I’ll send you enough of the N-Fusion, with tips on how to use it.  If that’s good with you, p.m. me with your mailing address. 

And yes I’ve tried them both. N-Fusion Titanium White is the one you want.

And after that, Cordura is miles beyond anything else.

Kieth,

I just went over the falls at low tide Rincon last week.  Rail into rocks.  Absolutely nothing like what would have happened if it was a fiberglass lamination.  The 'Ding" was a split where the fiberglass bottom  met the Cordura rails and deck.  In otherwords, an impact on the cordura rail had zero damage, but the fiberglass on the bottom away from the impact split. 

The board was one of my first, where I was still using fiberglass on the bottom.

And the Cerex under the fiberglass suffered no damage, so the board stayed water-tight under the cracked fiberglass.

hi mark - i’m down in australia - might be a bit exxy for you to send!

That’s interesting.  

I’m curious what resin you’re using with the Cordura  - if you’ve switched to a more flexible resin.  Also curious how your decks are holding up.   

My eyes are bleeding.  I’ve read all of these threads and not seeing where to source cordura.  Searched, but just seeing Ebay and some manufacturers sites with the heavy stuff.  If you have already shared this, forgive me, but share again?  thx

Never mind. Never fails. 2 min later …found

all the best

Bottom lamination:

EPS foam blank.

1.2 oz Cerex N-Fusion

Twaron roving at 1 inch separations.

Epoxy with micro balloon slurry between the twaron lines. Mix the slurry 1/3 epoxy - 2/3 micro balloons by volume. Squeegee then sand the slurry flush with the twaron.  A whole strength is achieved by thickening the laminate, with very little weight added.  THis should be standard practice for anyone using vector net or similar.  Otherwise, a heavier resin is the filler.

Cover with 160 denier Cordura nylon.

Deck Lamination:

EPS foam.

1.2 oz Cerex N-Fusion under Corecell area only

1/8" corecell skin from the tail to four feet up.

1.2 oz Cerex over everything

330 denier cordura

Front fins glass on, Trailer FCS Fusion. Why the need for three variables? You can get any ride you want just changing the trailer fin. Glass on fins are so much better.  And rather than doing the football patches,

wrap the deck cloth to the bottom

That one looks REALLY good Everysurfer!!!

Hey Everysurfer

Do you have pics of the raw twaron rovings? Looks interesting! Nice board!

Sorry, no pics of that handy. It looks just like 4oz fiberglass roving, but black and shiney. No twist to it.

What it does, in addition to a thickness guide for the microballoons, is a reinforcement to the nylon cloth. Nylon is more elastic than fiberglass. That is a partial reason why it is so much better than fiberglass in preventing dings. The twaron is very strong in tension and not elastic. It covers the nylons flaw.

Im pretty sure it is similar material to vector net. I run it lengthwise to reinforce the nylon in the warp direction. Vector net reinforces diagonally. And the diagonal direction wouldn’t do what I was after.

Molded fins.

Rapidset concrete mix cast over a fin

one layer of carbon is as stiff as 10 layers of fiberglass.  Since a normal fin is about 40 layers of 4 oz.  I vaccumed two layers of 4 oz, and two layers of carbon into the mold then I filled the fins with a microballoon slurry, and let it cure.  For the flat side a layer on Cordura to match the board, and a couple of mere layers of fiberglass to cap it off.

Cut off the exess

then cut off the tabs for glass on.

And then done

Nicely done ES ! Molded fins are the bee’s knees.-J