Modern Fibers in Surfboard Laminates (Cerex and Others)

I probably was responsible for some of his arguing, anyhow that was then, and this is now.  Keep building! 

Haha last nite after a surf while I was at the beach I was thinking about building a board with the front fins glassed on and plugs for thruster or quad.
Any tests with basalt? I got some 2oz yesterday I was going to use it between 4oz s on a deck but

I beat you to the idea of glass on fins up front!  Oops, Bonzers beat us both to it about twenty years ago!  But I do like it.  Why need five variables when three will do?  And I like the feel of glass on fins.

No, I’ve never tried basalt.  Some like it, some don’t.  Some say it is similar to S cloth, but in black.  

Something interesting from another thread. http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/fill-thin-layers-q-cell-or-straight-fiberglass#comment-473792

A broken board where the bond between the Logo/ Rice paper and the foam is stronger than the bond between the fiberglass and the foam, and the bond between the fiberglass and the rice paper.

Probably related to the way that Cerex non woven nylon increases the bond of fiberglass to the blank.

Not a “cerex” miracle here. Bond with stretchy fiber is only objectively (measure with appropriate tools and technics) increase with appropriate resin=one with higher élongation to break than fiber. Here it´s seems to be a pupe and pe don’t stretch so much.

Not a “cerex” miracle here. Bond with stretchy fiber is only objectively (measure with appropriate tools and technics) increase with appropriate resin=one with higher élongation to break than fiber. Here it´s seems to be a pupe and pe don’t stretch so much.

Lemat,

In this broken board, the resin isn’t the issue, since the logo and the fiberglass were laminated with the same.   Fiberglass delaminates easier than a more elastic fabric like rice paper or nylon.

This is true whether the resin is elastic or inelastic.  Isolate one variable at a time.  The fabric and the resin can be analyzed separately.

This is what i say for so long time, in an other post i write mechanical formulas law of how it work, and as some (who know…) ask me i ll stop going to deep in explanations.

What happen here is only from resin fracture. This is an interlaminar problem, current with polyester resin because it’s poor in shear because of law elongation capability. Printed rice paper thinned interlaminar resin film and reduce grip that give a really poor interlaminar bond, so when laminate pull of it delaminate on the logo easily.

A video I came across showing the benefit of Nylon

“Try that with your fiberglass boats, sucker”

Hey everysurfer
What’s the link to the vid?

do that with one of your boards, video it and post to youtube?  I’d love to see it! 

Hi Kieth, I did. Except I did it by laminating foam offcuts, and dropping a steel rod through a pipe so I could aim, and measure height. The picture disapeared in sways last reformat.

Maybe again at plaskett?

Would be more realistic if you just hit a board you made with rocks and fins so you get some real world data on how tough the end product is?  Others might be tempted to try new materials if they saw video of a brick bouncing off a surfboard, etc.

Or maybe its not as strong as all that.  The kayak looked pretty tough, but who knows how many layers are on that thing.

I’m doing one to trade at plasket. If you bring something good to trade for it, you can throw bricks at it if you like.

If you go over to the Coil ride reports thread, there’s all kinds of stories from actual paying customers about dropping their boards on rocks, running into reefs, boards blowing across parking lots, etc, etc.

Like I said about 7 years ago on here, there’s a whole world of fibers and weaves out there besides regular old fiberglass. It’s 2014, there’s no reason to keep doing the same old shit.

I don’t particularly find it helpful to read about coils because I make my own boards; in any event I wouldn’t know how to make a coil and nobody is going to tell us…

how about some helpful suggestions about which new fabrics to use and how?  recognizing that the average hobbyist doesn’t have an autoclave or whatever.  Gracias.

If it wasn’t for Coil this thread wouldn’t be here, isn’t that helpful enough?